Computer Help forum

Question

Computer shuts down before finishing start-up...

by UbiquitousSheep / February 24, 2013 9:40 AM PST

It's been a few months since I've powered my PC desktop on for various reasons.. Anyway, I tried to turn it on today and it completely powered off before evening starting up.

The first time I turned it on, it abruptly powered off after the Windows logo appeared. I turned it on a second time and went to the BIOS screen, where after a minute or so, it abruptly powered off again.

Something else I've noticed is that the "Building Wiring Fault" indicator on my Back-UPS ES 350 is lit up. Could it be that my PC is just not getting enough juice due to faulty wiring? It's not exactly a new UPS though..

Please and thank you for any help you can offer!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer shuts down before finishing start-up...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer shuts down before finishing start-up...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Many questions:
by pyrrhus55 / March 7, 2013 7:43 AM PST

1. Will it boot up in safe mode (F8) ??
2. When you opened it to replace the graphics card. Was there any accumulation of dust?? I have seen a machine do this due to dust.
3. How many sticks of ram do you have? If more than one , have you tried to boot off of each one separately, after being reseated??
I'm not saying, it's not the power supply. Just some more things to check.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I think I'd ask what's changed
by wpgwpg / February 24, 2013 10:01 AM PST

Have you plugged in any different devices? Have you changed power connections? Is everything connected via 3 prong grounded plugs? Many UPSes come with software that'll tell you what the voltages are, have you looked at that? Sometimes a USB device can confuse the POST (Power On Self Test), so I'd try unplugging everything except the keyboard and mouse to see if that helps. If the UPS is over 3 years old, the battery may not be up to snuff, but when plugged into the A/C, that shouldn't keep things from working unless maybe it's absorbed some voltage spikes. They're cheap enough, so you could replace it. As a test when the weather's good and there's no reason to expect lightning or power outages, you could try just plugging the computer straight into the power outlet just to see if it would boot. If you do that, I wouldn't leave it that way for more than just long enough to try booting up.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Straight to outlet
by UbiquitousSheep / February 24, 2013 11:24 AM PST

Tried plugging it in straight to outlet. Same outcome. Before I only had the monitor and the chassis plugged into the UPS and then only the monitor and wireless adapter for the mouse and keyboard plugged into the chassis.

Going to have to purchase a voltage meter cause I haven't got anything for that.

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Might help to know ...how old's is the PC and what's the OS
by VAPCMD / February 24, 2013 11:55 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) It's about 2 years old. Running Windows 7.
by UbiquitousSheep / February 25, 2013 2:42 AM PST
Collapse -
If your house pwr OK, I'd suspect PC's pwr supply
by wpgwpg / February 25, 2013 5:38 AM PST

Where I live it's rare to have low voltage. We have thunderstorms, but when we have power (which is the vast majority of time), it's pretty constant at around 118 volts. If yours turns to be similar, then I'd suspect the power supply in your computer. As Bob reminds us often, power supplies lose a lot of their punch over time, especially if they've been subjected to some harsh conditions.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Working on getting a voltage meter
by UbiquitousSheep / February 25, 2013 11:04 AM PST

Will let you know the reading once as soon as I can.

Also, is there a way to test the power supply without just buying a new one and seeing if that works?

Collapse -
Update
by UbiquitousSheep / March 3, 2013 10:08 AM PST

Okay, the outlet seems to be fine. Voltage is around 120 and the circuit is correct. Arg.

Collapse -
(NT) Have you added or replaced any major components recently ?
by VAPCMD / February 25, 2013 9:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Not terribly recently
by UbiquitousSheep / February 25, 2013 11:11 AM PST

The last component I was having troubles with was the graphics card so I replaced it with my friend's spare.. That was over 7 months ago - maybe more..

Collapse -
Answer
Ram
by pyrrhus55 / March 10, 2013 7:03 AM PDT

Ok, I'll go the non power supply way......
You recently replaced the graphics card?
"The last component I was having troubles with was the graphics card so I replaced it with my friend's spare"
If your old card used system ram , perhaps it was warning you of something?
So the lights go on, fans power up, bios starts , and even windows tries?? Yes could be power supply.
But , It could also be a bad piece of ram.
I suspect a system bad ram stick . If your friend with the video card, could burn you a copy of memtest v420 . You could boot to the disk and test your ram.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.