Computer Help forum

Question

Computer shut off, power button won't do anything

by davidnso / September 16, 2013 5:57 AM PDT

Hello,

My computer just turned off and won't turn back on. I see the LED power light of the power supply on, but when I try to turn on the PC itself nothing comes on (none of the fans, no lights from the motherboard). It shut off when I was attempting to play a game.

Just recently I had my PC shipped to Hawaii after I had moved here. Upon it arriving, I found everything was kept in place and found the CPU fan hanging from the motherboard. When it arrived, it only turned on for about a minute before shutting off. I decided to buy some thermal compound and reapply it. It worked.

The computer worked fine for the next two days and then I tried playing a game, only to have it shut off and not turn on again.

I am not sure if it's my PSU (Blue Storm II 500W) or if something shorted in the motherboard. I did not hear any pop or anything when it shut off.

Thanks for any help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer shut off, power button won't do anything
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer shut off, power button won't do anything
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
This dual rail +12V PSU is part of the system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2013 6:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
More info
by davidnso / September 16, 2013 7:00 AM PDT

I forgot to mention, this PC is about 2-3 years old and hasn't had much problem. I moved to Hawaii and had it shipped to me. It was only after it was shipped to me that I started having problems. Anyway, here are the other specs if they help:

Sapphire HD Radeon 4850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102747

G.Skill 4GB RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CNaQiuLl0LkCFYs1QgodM3AAyw&Item=N82E16820231122&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Memory-_-DesktopMemory-_-NA&ef_id=UjJXwgAABL8NIXcb:20130916205055:s

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128086

Intel Core 2 Quad http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

Thanks for any additional info.

Collapse -
156 to 242 Watts
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2013 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: More info
http://www.techspot.com/review/103-asus-radeon-4850/page10.html notes the power draw range so 18 * 12 = 196 Watts on a +12V RAIL means it should have not lasted that long.

We can find more information but anytime you tap a PSU over half its rating you get low life spans. If your PSU had a single rail it may have been passable but in this case I'd have the PSU tested and replace it with a much bigger model that has a single rail.

Also, the 4850 is seen from time to time at the repair counter so try the machine without that card.
Bob
Collapse -
Took 4850
by davidnso / September 16, 2013 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: 156 to 242 Watts

Took the 4850 out, but still no dice. Hit the power button and saw the motherboard LEDs light up for split second and fans rotate a quarter of a revolution.

Collapse -
Is this some home built?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2013 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Took 4850

Beyond the PSU is one last thing. I find extra mounting studs that will really get the average consumer yelling "It worked before" so we pull the main board and PSU onto cardboard and see if the least about of parts power up.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by davidnso / September 16, 2013 12:31 PM PDT

Can you rephrase that? Not really sure what you're asking me to do. Thanks.

Collapse -
I'm not asking you to do anything.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2013 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I can never instruct folk to remove a motherboard to put on cardboard for an out of the case test. It must be inside their comfort zone.

I had hope to read more about the PC. I've lost count of machines that had extra mounting posts shorting out the back side of the board that took a year to wear through the paint and cause an issue.
Bob

Collapse -
So I'm stuck?
by davidnso / September 18, 2013 5:36 AM PDT

No solution for me then? Buy a new PC?

Collapse -
Maybe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2013 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: So I'm stuck?

Remember there is a test I noted a few times but I can't tell if you did it or if there is some "comfort zone" issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Weekend
by davidnso / September 18, 2013 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe.

Hopefully I'll have time over the weekend to test it, will report back.

Collapse -
Okay. Bad MOBO?
by davidnso / September 28, 2013 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe.

So I disconnected everything. Only had PSU connected to MOBO. With the 24pin only, all fans started up just fine.

I then connected the 4pin 12V ATX, thats when everything shut off. From here, I couldn't turn it back on. Disconnected the 12v ATX, waited a couple minutes. and it would turn on again.

I'm guessing I have a bad MOBO?

Collapse -
Or
by James Denison / September 28, 2013 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay. Bad MOBO?

You have a bent pin on the processor you didn't detect. Pull it off and examine with a magnifying glass in good light. When your heatsink came off, did you remove and then reinsert the CPU? Check the USB plugs to be sure there's nothing stuck in them shorting it out, like a loose screw or even a bit of foil. Things were banged around and the heatsink impacted parts. You should have filed on it, especially if you are military and TMO damaged your household goods.

Collapse -
Well
by davidnso / September 29, 2013 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Or

When it arrived, yea I did check everything out.

For this thread's sake; I examined pins, all looked good. Removed CPU prior and reinserted it. For some reason it did boot for a bit with the 12V pin attached now.

When I tried to boot everything up this time around, it wouldn't boot when I connected the PCI-E.

I am so confused, zzz. Leaning more and more towards buying new everything. The time spent on this is making me meh.

Collapse -
PSU
by James Denison / September 29, 2013 8:44 PM PDT

I'd at least get a good Corsair, Antec, or Thermaltake PSU and test it with that. I've had cheaper power supplies that failed, especially on that 12V plug that goes to the VRM circuit (near the processor). A meter will show 12V power, but when a load is put on it, the power unit can no longer pull it.

I saw a 450w Corair with 80% rating at continous power on special for 3 more days at tigerdirect for $20 after rebate. Reviews main complaint on it is no power control on it's fan, runs on high all the time. If that's not a problem to you, then it's a great bargain.

Collapse -
Buying PSU
by davidnso / September 30, 2013 4:38 AM PDT

Great, thank you for your input! I really appreciate it. I'll probably invest in something a little higher end PSU. If this doesn't work, I think I'll upgrade anyway.

Again, thanks for the help through this thread. I'll let you know if it works out.

Collapse -
New PSU, same problem
by davidnso / October 4, 2013 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay. Bad MOBO?

So it's not the PSU.

Plugged in the new Corsair 650w, everything powered on, but again, when the PCI-E was plugged into the video card, it wouldn't start.

What does this narrow down the problem to?

Collapse -
video card?
by James Denison / October 4, 2013 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: New PSU, same problem

does it have a fan on it? Can you unplug it and see if that's shorting the system out?

Collapse -
Video card
by davidnso / October 4, 2013 3:53 PM PDT

Yes the video card does have a fan, the fan does turn on without the PCI-E plugged in. Everything shuts off with PCI-E in.

From what I can see the fan is just built into the card and I have no way to d/c it individually.

Collapse -
The problem: Solved!
by davidnso / October 18, 2013 7:34 PM PDT

Turns out the video card fried out or something last time I tried to play a game.

Bought a new video card (Sapphire 7950), plugged it in, and voila! Back on.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.