Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Computer screen turns blue/purple/pink then crashes

by verisimilitudes / November 24, 2013 7:00 PM PST

My older desktop is a HP Pavilion Elite m9150f PC still running Vista. I do not know the specs but it's product number KC880AA. I hardly ever use it but I was on it last week and it starting turning blue/purple/pink and freezing. I was playing an old Sims game on it and thought it was the game so I just installed it and let it be. I tried using it tonight and it started doing it again then crashing (blue screen). Now it will not even get to the log in screen, it crashes before then. I ran a system recovery to factory settings, but it still will not make it to the log in screen. Since about 2008 or 2009 it has said one of the drives had a smart event I never did anything about it and I don't know if that could have anything to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm not very computer savvy if you cannot tell.

PS. I posted this question on Yahoo answers and included a picture, here is the link: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131125025227AAHgxhr

verisimilitudes has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer screen turns blue/purple/pink then crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer screen turns blue/purple/pink then crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by verisimilitudes

Collapse -
Re: crash
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 24, 2013 7:04 PM PST

This looks like it needs a new graphic card. If you have a shop install it for you, it's less than $100.
But with a failing disk add another $75 to replace that.

I doubt if the machine is worth so much money.

Kees

Collapse -
Re.
by verisimilitudes / November 24, 2013 7:14 PM PST
In reply to: Re: crash

Thank you, I didn't know a failing graphic card could cause the system to crash. I doubt it's worth spending that much money on it too. Oh well. Thanks again.

Collapse -
I agree with Kees, however
by Jimmy Greystone / November 24, 2013 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Re: crash

I agree with Kees, however, given the age of the unit it's probably worth at least taking some compressed air to the innards and seeing if that helps. You could just have one massively clogged up fan or something simple. If that doesn't solve it, you're only out a small amount of money for some compressed air and a little time.

Collapse -
Re
by verisimilitudes / November 25, 2013 12:06 PM PST

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll definitely try doing that.

Collapse -
I agree with Jimmy
by itsdigger / November 25, 2013 4:23 PM PST
In reply to: Re

and also , you can pick up the usual 5450 graphics card sometimes pretty reasonably , a little canned air and a dab of thermal paste and you have a machine that you can squeeze a few more years out of....Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.