Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer screen shuts off randomly in-game when plugged in?

by Speltercorp / January 19, 2013 12:48 PM PST

Hi everybody,

I've been running into a big problem recently when im playing certain games (LoL, Arma2) My screen will flat out shut off (actually i think its on and just blank) and my audio will sometimes scratch onto a loop. clicking, alt tabbing, ctrl alt dlting all do nothing, and i have to hard shut off my laptop and restart it to do anything.

At first I thought it was a heat problem. so i cleaned out the entire laptop of all its dust, applied new thermal paste, and even got an extra fan running outside of the system. After looking at a heat monitoring program, there didn't seem to be any problems, so I don't think this is the case.

Then I noticed something after fuming about not being able to play my favorite games with my friends. When I was on battery power, the shut off never happened. When i plug it in, It only takes about 2 or 3 minutes for it to shut off. Could somebody give me any ideas of what's happening?

I have a gateway p7805u, about four years old (but actually still runs high end games pretty well). nvidia 9800M GTS with most updated drivers. 8gb ram, 265 gb harddrive with about 60 gigs free.

Thanks so much!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer screen shuts off randomly in-game when plugged in?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer screen shuts off randomly in-game when plugged in?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That means it's heat
by Jimmy Greystone / January 19, 2013 6:18 PM PST

That's means it's heat that's your problem. More specifically, probably the GPU is overheating. Seem to recall the 9xxx series being known for running a bit hot, and I'm also guessing you only redid the thermal paste on the CPU, not the GPU. You could have all the fans you want running inside the case, it doesn't matter if the chip itself is where the buildup is.

The reason things work on battery power, is because the laptop automatically clocks things down when on battery power, so the GPU is doing less work, thus by the laws of thermodynamics, is generating less heat, and you don't have as many issues.

Collapse -
solutions?
by Speltercorp / January 19, 2013 9:51 PM PST
In reply to: That means it's heat

This actually makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. I'm not a huge computer person so i assumed that since my computer itself was cool then the chips were fine as well. What would you recommend doing? should I put new thermal paste on the GPU or what? I'm really trying to hold out on buying a new computer, as its a decently expensive investment, so anything that i can do on my own would be ideal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.