Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer screen keeps blinking

by edisonp / May 4, 2008 8:44 AM PDT

My computer (laptop) screen keeps blinking a few minutes after turning it on. Eventually, it shows glitches and somewhat freezes. Before, I'd just restart the computer and it would work fine. But now the monitor blinks and eventually doesn't come back up. And then I have no choice but to unplug the computer. Please, if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

My guesses are
maybe I need to clean the fan (with an air compressor?)
it could be a virus

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer screen keeps blinking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer screen keeps blinking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you told us. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 4, 2008 9:18 AM PDT

absolutely nothing about the laptop or OS, how can we help? Did you read this, written in RED above where you posted your question:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Collapse -
It's a Dell
by edisonp / May 4, 2008 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Since you told us. . .

with Windows XP

Collapse -
There's about a thousand Dells. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 4, 2008 9:11 PM PDT
In reply to: It's a Dell

Which one?

Collapse -
by edisonp / May 5, 2008 6:06 AM PDT

Collapse -
Did you ever
by PudgyOne / May 5, 2008 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Inspiron

re-install the Operating System, whatever that version might be?

Did you also download the driver from here and install them in this order?

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Network Card

Collapse -
by edisonp / May 6, 2008 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you ever

I never reinstalled it.

Collapse -
Try your guesses first
by Steven Haninger / May 5, 2008 10:29 AM PDT

Heat will cause a variety of problems. We recently did have a dying screen on a laptop. This was confirmed by plugging into a regular LCD monitor. The laptop ran fine but the screen looked like garbage. I replaced the inverter card but that didn't work. A new screen did the job.

Collapse -
computer screen keeps blinking
by mikefromboston / May 5, 2008 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Try your guesses first

when the voltage gets high enough the capacitance touch switch for the monitor power passes current. After it discharges, the screen goes black until it charges up again. I had the same problem with a x2gen bargain monitor. My fix was to physically crush the frame around the switch driving the faces closer together.

For a laptop, there is probably a switch for the computer to sense when the laptop is closed. I propose it is probably the same problem. They can be sensitive.

Collapse -
I'm not sure if I can do the same
by edisonp / May 6, 2008 9:35 AM PDT

to my laptop. It seems to have just started doing that one day and was getting worse everytime I use it.

Collapse -
I don't have another monitor
by edisonp / May 6, 2008 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Try your guesses first

I probably use our Plasma TV, though, I just need a cable.

Collapse -
One other thought and hope this isn't the case
by Steven Haninger / May 6, 2008 10:52 AM PDT

There have been some IBM models where the GPU's surface solder connections begin to crack and cause the screen to blank out. Pressing on the right spot on the keyboard re-makes the connections and the screen comes back. Try pushing down lightly on varies areas of the keyboard when this happens. If you can make it come and go, you may have a detaching GPU.

Collapse -
by callepanama / November 16, 2015 3:53 AM PST

Greetings all, Re Blinking, if you are running W8 or 8.1, this will clear the blinking problem without any affect on the computer, it will also stop the unwanted, like get W 10,

I don't know if this will work on other versions.
Keith (Spain)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.