Windows 7 forum

Question

Computer Running Super Slow and System Restore Failure

by communistpenguin / December 23, 2011 3:16 PM PST

Hello,
I have an Acer Aspire timeline computer I bought 2 years ago. This computer advertised great battery life, internal cooling, and all sorts of other cool things....unfortunately, it was all a lie. But enough about that, As of like 3 days ago, I noticed my computer would respond slowly and take forever to complete a shutdown. I thought nothing of it until I decided to scan it using SuperAntiSpyware. It came back with 40 tracking cookies, which I deleted. Upon rebooting my computer, I noticed it was still running slowly. So I decided a system restore would be nice. I tried the first availible restore date. That apparently failed. Then I tried several others, with no success. I kept getting error codes telling me that the system restore failed to extract the file. It said the disk failiure might have been caused by bad sectors....I have no idea what that means. Ive tried multiple restore dates, they all come back with the same message. I do not have Norton on my computer ( I read this was part of the problem in many other machines with the same restore error, but just to make it clear, that is not part of the problem with my computer). I can only use my computer in safe mode, because the regular boot mode is wayy too slow and laggy. Also I have plenty space on my computer so it couldnt possibly be slowing down because its getting full or something. If anybody out there has any suggestions, pleaseeeee let me know! Im desperate and I need my computer before the next semester starts! Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Running Super Slow and System Restore Failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Running Super Slow and System Restore Failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Comments.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2011 1:28 AM PST

1. If you have Norton or Kapersky and a few others, those suites have TAMPER PROTECTION you must disable before using System Restore. I can not tell you why they don't help you figure that out.

2. What lie? Almost all 8 hour times on battery are known to be under the best of conditions. I continue to encounter folk that don't read the fine print. But if you want my experience, HALVE those times and it should be close to reality unless the user is playing GAMES.

3. Finally I continue to encounter folk that install more than one sort of protection software or create some conflict. We resolved that at Overclocking advice
which you can review to see what we did to find it.

4. Grif has fine advice about what to scan with at Then Please Try This.. - CNET Spyware, viruses, & security Forums

Bob

Collapse -
Dear Bob.
by communistpenguin / December 24, 2011 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Comments.

Bob,

Collapse -
I read your post again
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2011 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: Dear Bob.

And may find you are looking for help beyond what kind help is offered here. I offer what I find most often and if a post shows up in a single paragraph I often miss a statement.

Let's hope you can accept what this forum is. A place for discussion about issues.

Now that we know there is no antivirus protection all bets are off about a damaged OS and since Microsoft does not supply tools beyond system restore to sniff out what has failed, you turn to folk like Mark at http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/ to dive in and see what's happening.

I'm not Mark but that's the person you want to examine your machine next.
Bob

Collapse -
help
by communistpenguin / January 7, 2012 4:21 PM PST
In reply to: I read your post again

none of this has worked so far. I've scanned my computer using the proposed software and techniques. I've checked the processing, nothing has worked. keep in mind that I only run my computer in safe mode now because it is far to slow to run otherwise. Please help!!!

Collapse -
You need to find someone like Mark R.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2012 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: help

There are some odd things going on here and without the antivirus and more the OS is suspect now. Try the chkdsk and hope but without that protection, the OS can get dinged up quickly and then it takes a guru with hands on the machine to find it.

This is why most folk have to reload the OS today. (few gurus that will work on their machine.) Here we can't use the tools Mark R uses since we can't get to the machine. We can note Mark's fine work and read how he solved some stumpers but you would have to try what Mark does to see if you can find the issue.
Bob

Collapse -
You don't have any anti-virus?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 24, 2011 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Dear Bob.

While MBAM and SAS are great compliments to an anti-virus scanner, they do not do the work of anti-virus. However although you say you don't have Norton, perhaps you do have another anti-virus and that's why Kaspersky was mentioned, which also tampers with System Restore. Malware will also try to disable System Restore to prevent you from restoring back to before it was installed.

If none, then you do need an anti-virus scanner and there are many good free ones available.

Once you've done the scans suggested in Grif's post, if there is still no noticeable improvement, then let's look at other ways.

You say Safe Mode works fine, so that seems to suggest there is something, (or plural), running on your system that is slowing it down so try these steps;

1] Open MSCONFIG, (Start > Search for msconfig and select), and open it's Startup tab. Look down the list for any and all software that has set itself to run at startup. Ignore any Microsoft entries and any firewall and anti-virus entries, and also any utilities that came with the computer like keyboard or mouse, video entries. All others can be disabled as you can run those when Windows is fully loaded and when you specifically need them. Use Google to search for those you don't know. And a tip, the column headers can be expanded by dragging the borders on them, to enable you to see full entries. Reboot the computer to see if that helps.

These startup entries load their software into RAM Memory, and if your Acer doesn't have much memory then performance may suffer.

2] If there is no significant improvement, see what "Processes" are running. Right click the Taskbar and select the Task Manager. Open the Processes tab. There's a link at the bottom to "Show processes from all users". Click that to display them all.

There's no easy way to identify processes, but if any are eating up CPU Usage time, then they might be suspicious. Again, Google can help. Click the CPU column header once or twice to list them from bottom up, ie, bottom is heavier usage. If you don't see a CPU column, select CPU Usage from View > Columns.

See if those improve performance.

Also, since laptops need cleaning as well as Desktops, have a look atg Bob's advice about Laptop cleaning in the post below;
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-19681_102-3196452.html

As to batteries, there is no official guideline, but in general we think that 300 cycles or 2 years is about good for a battery. 300 cycles being fully charged to empty to fully charged again. All batteries degrade over time, so that's something you need to consider.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Help?
by communistpenguin / January 7, 2012 4:18 PM PST

None of this has worked. I've run the srkill, MBAM, and SAS multiple times over the past couple days and seen no improvements. I've tried the killing proccesses, and none of the processes running are sketchy, I don't know what to do now. Please if anyone has any other suggestions? I'd like to add that the only way I can even stand to use this computer now is through Safe Mode, booting up normally only triggers the slowest speeds.

Collapse -
Next step
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 7, 2012 5:58 PM PST
In reply to: Help?

ChkDsk - Check the disk for errors.

You mentioned error messages about Bad Sectors in your top post. That might signify that the hard disk is failing, so you may want to backup all your personal files before moving on.

Rather than attempt to explain the procedure myself, follow the guidance given in the link below;
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

Select all options available but since this is the C drive, ChkDsk will not run while the drive is in use and you will see the option to schedule it to run on next boot, so select that and then restart the system.

ChkDsk will then run before Windows loads. DO NOT INTERRUPT this procedure.

There is no guarantee that this will prevent a failing disk, but it may find bad sectors and that might improve performance.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.