Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer running slow

by spoon4160 / June 16, 2010 7:56 PM PDT

What are some things you can do if your computer is running slow?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer running slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer running slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: computer running slow
by Kees Bakker / June 16, 2010 8:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer running slow

Well, in really depends on the cause what best to do. So let me only mention a few things in general:

1. Buy a new faster PC.
2. Overclock the CPU (not recommended, generally).
3. Go back to factory setting (from system recovery disk/partition)
4. Remove all malware that's causing the slowness
5. Add RAM
6. Try a lighter antivirus program
7. Stop unnecessary services and background programs.
8. Uninstall unnecessary add-ons for browser
9. Buy a faster hard disk
10. Defrag

Collapse -
by flrhcarr / June 20, 2010 11:02 AM PDT

You have to find out what is making it slow. Pressing CTRL + ALT + delete will show you the processes that are running.
Only you know if you need them (that is, the program you use). Re-install Windows first. Uncheck what you haven't ever used. You can do this before hand, by going to Settings, Control Panel, Add-Remove Programs. It will tell you if you use it regularly, rarely & things like that. As an example, do you need the sticky keys program that comes with Windows? If not, than uncheck it on the re-install.
Even just using the "Recovery Disc" that came with your retail computer, can make things run faster. It's good to do that just to clean things up.
Some additional things are all of the fluff that comes with Windows. Animated icons, shadows, animated desktops, more than 10 icons or folders on your desktop. Things of that nature. They all use your resources.
Than, additionally, upgrade your RAM (as in add more of what you have), hard drive & the like. If you're running an older PC, that uses an IDE drive, SATA won't help really. Well, a little, but not the "advertised" speed. You'll want to look at transfer speed, not just the RPM's. Also not that there are fewer IDE drives of size available, as the new stuff becomes common.
So do the small things first. Keep 50 percent or better free space on your drive. Have less than 1000 files in one directory. Defragment often (you can use the Windows defrag or buy a program to do this). I use VoptXP, & have for years. Reduce the fonts that load (anything over 50 will begin to slow things down), unless of course, you use them. Than go to the bigger steps, like reinstalling, upgrading & the like.
Additionally. Turn off auto 'everything'. Automatic updates will slow your computer to a crawl. Reboot your computer (restart), that will clear out programs from your RAM, that don't want to clear out on their own.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Slow computer
by Maceman69 / June 17, 2010 4:58 AM PDT

If you have a small C drive and not so much RAM, make some room to C.
Don't put too much stuff on your desktop.
You can also run the Disk Cleanup every now and then.

Collapse -
by CassandraF_WinTeam / June 18, 2010 9:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
by andygawg / June 18, 2010 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: ReadyBoost

Great suggestions so far. The free CCleaner program also makes it easy to clean junk from your comp. which may be slowing it down. It also has a conservative (safe) registry cleaner which may help, but many would disagree with using reg. cleaners.

Probably the two biggest factors are: 1. Too many start up programs and processes running in the background.
2. Not enough RAM.

If everything fails (it shouldn't, even an old comp. can run quickly if it's well maintained)
you may just have to buy a new computer! Goodluck!!

Collapse -
Speeding up a computer...
by Doh_1 / June 18, 2010 5:54 PM PDT

Well, as you know, there's more to a computer slowing down than just having extra junk on it. Software gets larger and more functional all the time, relying on the advances in the underlying computer technology to take up the slack with more speed, more memory, faster disks, faster networking, faster internet, everything more and faster.

To speed up my daughter's older laptop which had gotten very slow (and the hard disk finally broke when I started to go through my normal ways of speeding computers up), I did a couple of things. First off, I got a new, bigger, faster hard disk, and max'd out the memory capacity *smile*. Then I re-installed the OS (which I had to do anyways). And switched to just using MS Security Essentials and the Windows firewall from the bloated firewall/antivirus/antimalware suite that she was using. And advised her to not install anything on it unless she was sure that she absolutely had to have it. Well, that really speeded it up a whole lot, and made it much more useful to her for basic stuff like surfing the internet, email, IM, Facebook, etc., all the lightweight simple stuff.

Re-installing is really something to consider to speed up a computer, it is the ultimate cleanup of everything, the registry, the disk, nothing like a clean start to speed up a computer. And then just install what you absolutely need. This would also be a good time to get a newer, faster, larger hard disk and more memory to give your old computer a chance to be faster. Personally, I'm giving a hard look at the new hybrid disks with mixed SSD and rotating disk technology, the price and speed of those is getting very attractive lately.

And of course, there's all the standard speedup stuff that's been mentioned before, like making sure that you're not starting any more software at boot time than you absolutely need (msconfig), and removing software and files and cleaning things up generally, defragmenting your disk, and so on.

Collapse -
Speeding up your computer.
by andygawg / June 20, 2010 4:35 PM PDT

As doh-1 mentioned above, MSE is an excellent (free) and light weight anti-virus/malware solution. It integrates perfectly with windows (not surprising seeing as it's made by MS).

For an added layer of security you could also use Malwarebytes. The paid version (one off payment - about $25 if I remember correctly) runs well with MSE. Usually one should never run two anti-virus programs, but Malwarebytes is designed to complement other security programs. It's also light on system resources.You can find lots of reviews for these programs by doing a google search.

Finally, as mentioned re-installing your OS is the ultimate registry clean up among other things, but takes time and careful backing up of all your data.

I have read that while great performance gains can be obtained simply by re-installing the OS this is not so important after XP, as Vista and Windows 7 tend to look after themselves much better. Not sure how true that is, but I've been running W7 64 bit since last Oct. and it's still blazing fast. ( I have 12GB of RAM and an i7 processor which helps.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
When was the last time THIS was done?
by Brechan / June 20, 2010 5:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
Delete the virus
by keshavzooms / June 21, 2010 9:01 AM PDT

Clean up the virus in your system. If it still persists, then i would suggest you either format the drive or else buy a new hig configuration system.

Collapse -
Definitely there are things.
by BioFuch / June 21, 2010 2:37 PM PDT

This issue can be caused by any of the below things:

1. Hard disk drive is short on available disk space.
2. Software programs have been installed/uninstalled leaving behind bad files and/or confusing the software.
3. Your PC is full of browsing history, temporary files, old files and other unnecessary data.

I'm using Mil Shield for these three issues, a neat and reliable program that speeds your PC:

Collapse -
Machine running slow, though it's not older than 2 years.
by LucJPatenaude / June 27, 2010 6:06 PM PDT

Get the software called System Mechanic Pro 9, install it, upgrade and update it via broadband communication of an internet connection up-to 9.6.

Run it, and use the Deep analysis type of analysis badly needed for such slowing down machine. If it is very badly clogged up of junk files and a registry in a very bad status of integrity, it might take an hour or so to fix the whole machine up. That's including the errors found onto the hardware chipset's programming and fragmentation of the main Hard-drive + repairing the whole thing up after it is done doing this thoroughly exaustive system analysis.

Your system will reboot a couple of times before it is completely done. And, will include a sidebar gadget into your desktop's sidebar app. also.

This maintenance period will demand of you, a lot of patience. Do not lose your cool. After all, it is a common problem with today's Operating Systems.

Enjoy the much faster machine after all is done!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.