Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

Computer Repair Business Startup Help

by cpalmquist07 / July 11, 2007 7:06 AM PDT

Hello All,

I just joined the forums and would appreciate any help you guys could lend me. I have been working with computers for about seven years now and would like to start my own business. I don't have a lot of cash flow available as of yet and will be doing this part-time until things can really get going.

My question is how can I advertise my services to bring in customers for cheap, and I mean cheap, or free. I initially thought of doing the flyer under the wipers thing at some local malls but have since been discouraged from doing that as it creates a poor outlook on the business.

Any help with web sites similar to craigslist or any other ideas you might have would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Repair Business Startup Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Repair Business Startup Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start a blog
by Roseb44170 / July 14, 2007 12:15 PM PDT

I know that the Adsense Consultant has a new client - a person that does computer repairs. Now the blog is still new but you can take a look at it

This blog is on and it is free to create the blog. That way your computer business can have an online presence. Start networking and - hey - what's wrong with the flyer thing? I once did that to help a guy who had an upholstery business and he got calls and subsequent jobs from placing those flyers on parked cars - so its a good and cheap thing to do.

Now a lot of your clients will be local so that means that you'll have to go the local route. I remember making some cut-off advertising flyers for a client who placed them at apartment complexes. Make some business cards and put them everywhere - the same thing applies with flyers - make some up and put them everywhere.

but still have that blog - number because you'll be reaching a far and wide audience - now you may think that you don't have a need for a far-reaching audience but you never know - people may actually start to send you questions that you can answer and that helps to build your reputation.

Collapse -
Computer Repair Business Startup Help
by maryperna / July 18, 2007 1:32 AM PDT

Since you have been in ths business for so long, you could try writing articles on computers and mention about your service at the end.

Off late a lot of people are writing articles even to make that extra cash apart from marketting their services. You could post your articles for free at places like,,

If you want to make some money along with it, you could try selling it at There is no listing fee.

Hope this helps
Good Luck

Collapse -
A good PC Repair Kit, Craigslist and maybe
by kellerchch / August 7, 2007 3:31 AM PDT

Since your PC business is community specific, I would do a number of things.

I would make a list of the local competition out there. Go through the Yellow Pages and make a list of PC Repair shops. Call them up and ask them about the business. Some will give you zero information but others who may have too much business might engage with you in a lead sharing relationship for a cut of the initial business. You wouldn't expect competition to help you out but if they make 10% off the referrals they send you and they feel confident in their business, they will.

Secondly, get yourself a listing in the yellow pages - I think there is a basic free listing for businesses and choose a good business name that instantly says what you are. Something like, A+ PC Repair. The A will get you to the top of the Yellow Page listings.

Thirdly, join your local chamber of commerce.

Fourthly, post a captivating ad in craigslist and go for the flyers on the cars. Spend a few bucks to make a nice flyer and think about using color - it makes a difference. The type of flyer makes more of a difference to your reputation than actually putting them on cars. Use a promotion or discount to get them in the door.

Fifth, get yourself a PC-Doctor Repair kit ( It will speed up your diagnosis of PC problems. You start with the hardware tests and then move to software. I work at PC-Doctor but even if I didn't, I believe in the product. All the major repair shops like Circuit City Fire Dogs and Best Buy Geek Squad use these sort of tools. Circuit City uses ours. You can print out reports to increase the credibility of your diagnosis with customers.

Six, set milestones and business goals. You have to expect a good year of slow build-up and your finances need to be able to bare at least that. Do this on the side before you make the big jump.

Good luck

Collapse -
I'd agree with most of the advice so far
by ozos / September 2, 2007 1:03 PM PDT

I wouldn't agree with the suggestion to buy a $399 repair kit, but thats just me

It all depends on your area though, if you live an area thats flooded with PC techs (Denver Metro, SF Bay Area, Austin Metro, Los Angeles Metro, New York City, etc) you'll have a very hard time getting any ground, if you live an area that isn't flooded with PC related businesses, you should be able to do decently

I'd agree with the suggestion of working with companies that have too much business, however be careful with relying on other companies for referals, advertisement will obiviously help, things like craigslist and flyers (sometimes places like grocery stores have a community bulletin board type thing, where you can place advertisements, might be worth a try as well, or sign posts that let you place ads (street malls usually))

if you know anyone with similar work experience who could work with you, that can help you quite a bit (it can establish credability if you have "employees" or "associates" instead of being a single freelance tech), chamber of commerce can also help, having an A+ or similar can give you some more credability (almost anyone with any support experience in computers can pass A+ with relative ease, but you'd be surprised how many PC enthusiasts who even surpass A+'s knowledge base, don't have A+, and how much A+ can actually net you professionally)

the yellow pages listing will also get you an influx of customers, having a hard time thinking of any other similar directory listing services, but things of that nature can help, setting up a website might be advantageous (just make sure you include your town (or county) name, and "PC repair" or something similar in the meta tag, so when someone searches "$town + PC repair" your website comes up)

if your area has a local TV station that allows cheap advertisements, you might consider that (people actually watch local broadcast TV, surprisingly enough), I'd only do this if you have some positive cash flow and can support the investment (and assuming it isn't majorly expensive)

if you can land a support contract with a local business that can boost your business, through word of mouth and exposure (can spread to their employees, other businesses they work with, etc)

Collapse -
great free online directory
by norbiy / October 9, 2007 1:04 AM PDT

I think you should also register at <a href=""></a>
They offer free listing and it's a very simple to use web site. They helped me find new customers.
Good luck!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.