Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer reboots on its own

by gjwizard / March 30, 2004 1:29 AM PST

I have installed a new MB and HDD. I installed windows xp home for my OS and all seems to be working fine but, out of the blue the system will reboot itself. It seems as if this mostly happens when I'm on the internet, yet it has happened while sitting idle at the desktop. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer reboots on its own
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer reboots on its own
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:computer reboots on its own
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2004 1:41 AM PST

Just some suggestions:

New hardware could be causing "heat related" issues. (Motherboard chipset fans, heatsink, other fans, etc.) Have you tried removing the case cover, pointing a fan at the "inards" and running the computer for a while?

Is the power supply sufficient for the hardware you have installed. (400 watts, maybe more)

Depending on the amount of background programs you have running, they could be causing conflicts with each other. First, make sure that you have all the current audio, video, etc. drivers for the new operating system. Next, shut down all the unnecessary programs in "msconfig" and "services" by using the instructions and information at the links below:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / March 30, 2004 8:29 PM PST

1. The article [Q308427] states that an "event" is any significant occurrence in the system or in a program that requires users to be notified or an entry be added to one of three logs. The Event Log Service records application, security, and system events in Event Viewer that can help identify and diagnose the source of current system problems, or help predict potential system problems.

2. The article [Q314084] describes how to gather more information about an error message that appears on a blue screen but may not provide conclusive answers and may only point you to another problem. Using Pstat.exe, a Resource Kit utility run from the command line, you are given a picture of the processes and drivers that are currently running. By using the starting address in the "LoadAddr" column, you can match the exception address to the driver name nearest and is most likely the driver that called the exception.

3. Access the TechNet "Windows XP Events and Errors" page and enter either the "Source" or the "Error Code". -- the two most important items of information concerning an Event.

Collapse -
Re:Re:computer reboots on its own
by gjwizard / April 1, 2004 3:02 AM PST

This is what the event log had to say about the shut downs. Any suggestions?

Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 6009
Source: EventLog
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventLogProductInfo

The user restarted or shut down the computer by clicking Start or pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then clicking Shut Down. The message displays the Windows product information for the computer logging the message, including the product name, version, build number, service pack number, and operating system type.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:computer reboots on its own
by Cursorcowboy / April 1, 2004 8:00 AM PST

Since my #3 reference does not turn up anything for either the source or ID, I'd have to assume this is nothing more than a simple event. There isn't anything I can find written about it for WinXP, but you might check the article [Q196452] for WinNT. Microsoft hasn't caught up with all the XP stuff yet, it appears.

Collapse -
by Willy / March 30, 2004 10:00 PM PST

I agree with the other posters suggestions and should be looked at.

Further, I suggest if you have a new system to verify in the bios what the "overtemp" setting is at and make sure its proper for your needs, but default is OK. Depending on where you locate your system can cause reduced air circultation if stuffed in a desk or just in general poor air circulation is available. Also, in the bios make sure that "remote wake-up" is OFF or atuned to your needs. Thus a telephone ring or electrical spike could cause the system to reboot as well as heat overtemp, these are common areas to check. Verify the cpu heatsink/fan is properly mounted. If you brought a separate HSF, that it is rated for that cpu installed.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
Re:computer reboots on its own...another suggestion
by TONI H / March 31, 2004 5:07 AM PST

you don't say whether you are on cable, dsl, or satellite, or some other type of 'always on' type modem service, but I had this same problem with my satellite service modem. Their tech support had me right click my Local Connection 6 icon in Networks, choose Properties, Advanced...this normally is where the XP firewall is listed as being on or off. If it's turned on, go to the settings tab at the bottom, then click Add and enter your isp name (mine is Starband), your computer name, and in the tcp/ip area put in the port numbers you get from your isp for both lines, and in the UDP area do the same if you need them. (When I'm at I have to enter their port numbers instead in the tcp/ip area by adding winmx to the list twice or I have difficulty connecting to anybody there and vice versa) so make sure the port numbers you enter are the correct for what you need. Once you do this, you can reboot the computer to make everything take effect.

My computer stopped rebooting once I entered the Starband port numbers of 1880 for UDP.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.