Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer reboots before windows startup

by jsizzle2006 / July 5, 2007 8:03 AM PDT

first off i'm not 100% sure of my system specs. i bought some parts off a friend and built a media center computer with them. here goes, i have an amd athalon 1.24 with a gig of corsair high performance ram, a antec 420W power supply,a samsung dvd-ram drive, no floppy, i'm unsure about the mobo though, in an antec case with six drives in the case for a total of approx. 2.7 terabytes of storage. all drives are seagate or hitachi. i also have some of the drives connected through splitters because the power supply doesn't have enough connectors. i've already tried to disconnect the drives (all except c:) to see if it was the drives draining too much power from the pwr supply but it still happened. here is the prob.

when i start my pc, sometimes it restarts within 5 seconds, sometimes it goes all the way to the windows startup screen before it restarts. it passes mem chk and all the drives are displayed. sometimes it just shuts down. i've had this problem for around 8 months and it's really dynamic, it changes slightly every time. for the most part i just keep starting the pc until it boots properly and then it works for a day, week, month but the problem always returns. please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer reboots before windows startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer reboots before windows startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: computer reboots before windows startup
by caktus / July 5, 2007 12:08 PM PDT

Assuming you are using Window XP, have you tried disabling Auto restart? Right click on My Computer > select Properties > Advance tab. Under Startup and recovery, click on Settings. Under System failure clear the checkmark beside "Automatically restart. Also place a checkmark beside "Write an event to the system log." Click OK > Apply > OK.

If you get a error next time you restart the computer, be sure and post it here.

Also, Next time you have trouble restarting Windows be sure and post any errors in the Event Viewer, even if you have to check from Safe Mode. In either Safe or Normal mode go to Start > All Programs > Control Panel > Administrative tools > Event Viewer. See if any errors have been entered in the System event log at of near the time there was trouble restarting Windows.

Charlie

Collapse -
reboot issue
by jsizzle2006 / July 5, 2007 12:31 PM PDT

yes i'm running xp. sorry i'm new to the forum thing. and yes i have disabled the auto restart function and i have checked the event viewer. i dont even get a bsod. it's almost like i pull the plug out of the wall. i have been working this problem for a while. i have looked all over the net for solutions and none have helped.

thanks

Collapse -
boot issue
by jsizzle2006 / July 5, 2007 6:15 PM PDT

ok i checked the event viewer

here are the most recent errors (today)

error w32time event : 29
error w32time event : 17
error w32time event : 29
error w32time event : 17

warning dhcp event : 1007
warning dhcp event : 1003

went to hyperlink provided in "properties" and it was no help.
any ideas???

Collapse -
jsizzle2006
by tomron / July 5, 2007 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: boot issue

Also in event viewer there is a column for the source,what is the source?

These errors seem to indicate a firewall or network connectivity issue.

Tom

Collapse -
reboot issue
by jsizzle2006 / July 5, 2007 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: jsizzle2006

the source is w32time and dhcp

tomorrow i'm going to swap the pwr supply and check all connections again.

any ideas???

Collapse -
reply to: boot issue
by caktus / July 6, 2007 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: boot issue

Try the following.

While you are online double click on the clock in the lower right corner of the screen This will bring up Date and Time Properties. Click on the "Internet time" tab. Select "Synchronize with an Internet time server." Select a server from the drop-down menu. (I use time.windows.com.) Click on the Update button > Apply > OK.

Also go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Insure that DHCP is set to Automatic. If not, double click on DHCP and set the Startup type to Automatic. Then click on Start > Apply > OK.

Then Scroll down to "Windows time" and do the same.

Download, install and run WinSock XP Fix.

Also, what firewall are you using.

Charlie

Collapse -
boot issue cont....
by jsizzle2006 / July 6, 2007 3:39 PM PDT
In reply to: reply to: boot issue

okay, i haven't tried anything new yet but when i got home i turned on my tv and found this bsod,

the problem caused by file "ntfs.sys"

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

technical info

0x00000050

(0x8784a00,0x00000001,0xf7386f77,0x00000000)

ntfs.sys- address f7386f77 base at f7385000, datestamp 45cc5964

HELP!!!

Collapse -
boot issue
by jsizzle2006 / July 6, 2007 3:40 PM PDT
In reply to: boot issue cont....

also i'm using zonealarm

thanks for all the help so far!

Collapse -
jsizzle2006
by tomron / July 6, 2007 4:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
reply to: boot issue cont.... TV?
by caktus / July 6, 2007 5:10 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.