Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

computer reboots 4-5 times on startup

by cobramoma / October 28, 2004 5:42 PM PDT

After uninstalling SP2, my computer reboots 4-5 times each time I have to restart it. I had many conflicts between SP2 and my ISP, Adelphia cable, took my computer back to the builder and he reformatted. Everything seems to go ok except this rebooting. I have a fear that one day, it will just keep doing this and not run. Seems to load part of the bios each time it reboots and finally gets it loaded after all these tries. I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer reboots 4-5 times on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer reboots 4-5 times on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: computer reboots 4-5 times on startup
by AussiePete / October 28, 2004 7:18 PM PDT

Are you still using sp2?
tell us more about what your setup comprises eg hardware and software.
First thing though make sure you have latest bios version and motherboard drivers and that all your hardware is functioning OK - look in device manager - also in "system's information particularly in "problem devices"
In your bios make sure your settings are set to "setup defaults" and that any onboard devices such as modem or graphic are turned off if they are not in use (particularly those items you have an extern card eg graphics).

Collapse -
by cobramoma / October 28, 2004 10:07 PM PDT

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, AussiePete. I bumble around with my computer so bear with me if I'm not answering the questions you had. I run Windows XP2002, AMD Athlon XP 1800+ processor, 40 GB, 640 MB ram, AOpen motherboard. My device manager says everything is operating ok, but I know that's wrong since my printer won't work now, either. The man that built my computer (and formatted it for me when I made a mess uninstalling SP2) had thought this reboot problem was a bad battery, but I replaced it. He called last night and seemed to now think its a bios problem since the battery didn't solve it. He's ok working on it but I prefer to fix it myself-I learn a little more each time, plus I don't have to wait for him. As you suggested, I'll check to see if my bios settings are on default and check with AOpen to see if there are updated versions of my bios and motherboard drivers. I'll keep you posted-thanks again. Wendy

Collapse -
by AussiePete / October 29, 2004 9:24 PM PDT

I have an aopen motherboard as well - I have been happy with the updates they have supplied - they also supply the bios upgrade as well as other software. It is important that you install their 4 in 1 motherboard drivers correctly, or should I have said install the old drivers first as well (their installation program gives you this option so select to install first!).
Anyway thanks for your feedback.
PS My sister's name is Wendy as well (Peter (Pan) and Wendy!!!

Collapse -
error in wording
by AussiePete / October 30, 2004 4:35 AM PDT

I meant to say UNinstall the old 4 in 1 drivers first!!!!

Collapse -
Re: error in wording
by cobramoma / October 30, 2004 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: error in wording

Thanks, AussiePete. I'd printed off your first instructions but hadn't had time to work on it today, so I'll do the UNinstall first, like you said. From other information I've been reading, I think your suggestions will get me fixed right up. Bet the first thing I do when I get everything back the way I had it is make a good backup disk (and keep it current)! Thanks again for your help-Wendy

Collapse -
by Fazi000000 / October 28, 2004 8:30 PM PDT

A week ago my computer was infected whit sasser worm and I had format my hdd using low level format.Now my computer is working well, but when it was infected, it use to reboot on startup.Maybe you have the same problem.

Collapse -
by cobramoma / October 28, 2004 10:10 PM PDT

Fazi-thanks for your information. According to the Norton program I run, there are no problems like that, but I'll re-run it just to be sure. Let me know if you can think of anything else to try. Thanks for your help-Wendy

Collapse -
by daneasyone / October 29, 2004 9:55 PM PDT

I had exactly the same problem that I fought for over a month.I finally discovered that the problem was with the D-Link PCI card. When I removed it every thing was fine. I returned the card to the manufacturer. They agreed it was faulty. What I am saying is it is worthwile to look at some of your hardware. (diagnostic had turned up nothing)
hope this helps.

Collapse -
''Norton''! Norton isn't going to do it!
by Cursorcowboy / October 30, 2004 11:56 PM PDT
WARNING: As always, make sure every utility you use is fully updated.

1. First, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software."

2. Second, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below.

Note: If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program.

a. "Housecall."

b. "Adaware." Your attention is invited to "Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe."

c. "Spybot S&D."

Note: Receiving an error "SO Exploit: . . ." (data source object) caused by the active secutity setting "Download unsigned ActiveX controls", it could be set to "Disable" or "Prompt" or ignore the produced error.

d. "CWShredder v2" or "CWShredder v1.59.1."

Note: It is being reported in the "Virus Alerts" forum, "Testers from several security forums are reporting issues with the new CWShredder (version 2). It is recommended to use the original program until further notice."

Caveat: Problems connecting? Try "Computer Cops" and find the files in question to download from there.

e. "McAfee AVERTStinger."

f. "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal", "Malware Removal", and the Viruses and Security Alerts Forum moderator's message concerning "HiJackThis log postings."

3. Please reply to our input that each and every one of the five were used and the result if you require further input.

4. Download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

(1) "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

(2) "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

5. The article [Q320454] discusses and contains information about the "Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer" tool (MBSA) (click to see a screen shot) that centrally scans Windows-based computers for common security misconfigurations and generates a "report" (click to see an example).

6. "ShieldsUP" is the Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable, most powerful, complete and trusted free online Internet security checkup and information service where at this site you can check your system for vulnerability and begin learning about using the Internet safely.

7. Supplemental reading:

a. "Setting Up Security Zones."

b. "Chapter 27 - Security Zones."

c. "Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2."
Collapse -
by Steven Haninger / October 31, 2004 12:47 AM PDT

If you have not fixed the problem yet, you might check the "event viewer" for clues. This is found under Control Panel/Administrative Tools. I would clear it first and then do a restart allowing the multiple reboots to occur. you should find a series of errors. They will be cryptic but may hold a clue. I had a similar incident which turned out to be an updated driver to a Radeon video card requiring that I roll back to previous. Regards..

Collapse -
by cobramoma / October 31, 2004 2:19 AM PST

Thanks for the information, Steven. I haven't had time to work on this yet but hope to get to it tomorrow. I've gotten really good tips from this forum and it sure appears each one is going to help get my computer back to the way it was. I'll try your suggestion as well. Thanks again-Wendy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.