Computer Help

Question

computer programs keeps freezing

by Jazzcomputer24 / March 16, 2013 2:00 PM PDT

My computer programs keep freezing. Virtually making it unusable. I can't play games or surf the internet for more than a few seconds before it freezes. I can't Skype. Nothing, without getting a not responding or for it to freeze completely.

Its a HP pavilion dv7

If there is anything else you need to know so you can help me I will answer it.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer programs keeps freezing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer programs keeps freezing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
There are many DV7 models. Which one do you have?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 2:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
model of laptop
by Jazzcomputer24 / March 16, 2013 3:04 PM PDT

Its the pavilion dv7-6154nr. I have been thinking about taking it apart and cleaning the fan and stuff. I did replace the keyboard recently and omg it was so dusty and full of crumbs. The fan does make weird noises and sometimes it does get a bit warm. I wasn't sure and I am still not sure if that's the problem, I guess that's the reason you gave me that link. I did also notice that recovery disk drive was getting kinda full and ifthat could be the reason everything is freezing so much.

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 3:54 PM PDT
In reply to: model of laptop

It's your choice to keep up on maintenance as you read above.

But as I read http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02914149&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5151752 this might be a very hot laptop. But there is something we can do to cut the heat a little and avoid a meltdown.

Learn how to limit the number of CPU CORES Windows will use. I see how at
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/66504-processors-limit-number-used-windows-7-a.html

Since this is a Quad Core, try setting it to 3 and re-test.
Bob

Collapse -
hit a snag
by Jazzcomputer24 / March 18, 2013 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

So I was taking my laptop apart to clean the fan when one of the screws became stripped. So that's just awesome. Any tool you can recommend to get it out.

Collapse -
That's very rare on the first outing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: hit a snag

Why? Well, it is. I usually see that on old gear that folk have been in before. To get the screw out I have to lift on the fan while unscrewing that at the same time. Sort of a learned skill.

To repair the strip is another discussion on its own but in short we either use a similar but one size up screw that can make it's own threads (too much to write about here so we'll keep it short). Or glue a nut that works with this screw to the other side. Or replace the part with the stripped threads.

Your finding is a good clue to the problems. If the threads were stripped then that could mean the heatsink or such is not able to get the pressure needed for good thermal performance.
Bob

Collapse -
didnt even reach the fan
by Jazzcomputer24 / March 18, 2013 12:17 PM PDT

I didn't even get to the fan. This is a screw on the case. I can't even get to the fan to clean it. Its stuck in the laptop. You know when try to unscrew something and something has to the screw and it strips? Do you know how I can get it out?

Collapse -
Just last week that happened to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 12:22 PM PDT

It was some Lenovo and to get it open we removed all the other screws as indicated. Then lift on the cover while unscrewing the stripped one. Like I said you sort of learn this over time.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.