Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer powers on, fans run, no video or post or beeps

by JawOT / January 19, 2009 10:32 PM PST

Hi everyone,

Computer powers on, fans run, no video or post or beeps. Here is a list of what i tried :

HP M8300F

I disconnected everything, cleaned heat sink, processor and reapplied thermal grease. Took all ram out except 1 stick, harddrive, and powered on. Fans run but no video,no beeps,nothing, also fans seem to be running really fast and really loud.

Tried all of these :

1. known working hard drive
2. known working ram
3. I took the processor out and put it on this motherboard - MZN68-LA (not 100% sure of compatibility)
4. I tried a known working processor from my other desktop which is a SR5610F. (not sure of compatibility)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer powers on, fans run, no video or post or beeps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer powers on, fans run, no video or post or beeps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From what I can tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2009 12:11 AM PST

That model is less than a year old. Why not ask HP to fix it?

Collapse -
Check out...
by Willy / January 20, 2009 12:29 AM PST

Usually, it leaves only the PSU and mtrbd. to content with. Unplug the AC cord and depress the power-ON button for a 10sec.. Return AC cord and try to power-ON again. if it works, you got a bad power relay on mtrbd.. If not, then again bad mtrbd. or PSU. The PSU supplies more than one voltage, just because the fan runs means only 12V is present. You can also try the to clear the CMOS using the clearing pins/pads. This will reset it to defaults and may clear a problem or not. I would swap out the psu as a 1st step in a repair. if that doesn't work, test other components elsewhere(if possible) like ram, etc.. If you do have any warranty, use it before going hog wild on repair attempts as that may void warranty.

Computability is critical, it may fit but still not work on cpu sockets, so you do HAVE TO KNOW before swapping any parts.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
questions about issue, and steps to try
by Mister_Do / January 23, 2009 5:48 AM PST

Hi JawOT,

I work for HP and saw your post and want to help if I can.

Can you tell me more about your issue. Did this start out of no where, like you just woke up one morning and it wasn't working? Did it happen after running a software update, such as a BIOS update?

Does anything at all show up on your monitor, does your monitor detect if your PC is connected?

It's kind of hard to tell, but maybe you had a failed BIOS update, or perhaps some hardware has failed, such as the motherboard or power supply.

Here are some boot and power troubleshooting documents from HP for your PC model:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?rule=23708&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3644702&lang=en

If it turns out this is from a failed BIOS update, you may need to send the PC into HP for reimaging, or you can also try taking out the CMOS battery for about 30 minutes and seeing if that will reset your BIOS to default. If you want to try the CMOS battery step, from the page linked above, there is also a document on replacing the CMOS battery.

For future reference, here is your HP Product Support page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3644702&rule=23708&lang=en&

Let us know how it goes.

--Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.--

Collapse -
Search The Internet.....
by Frank Lynch / February 15, 2011 3:55 PM PST

The HP computer m8300f has a motherboard (MCP61PM-HM) that apparently has bad 6.3v 1800uf capacitors. It is all over the net. All nine of these caps were replaced on mine by me and now runs fine..... My cost was about 4 bucks plus my time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.