Computer Help forum

Question

computer not working i need help :c

by neothesephiroth / April 26, 2013 6:50 AM PDT

help me. long ago my computer died and wouldn't recieve power and i figured it was just dead, but i decided to take it apart to see if anything was wrong. the motherboard still lights up with power and if i plug the power cord in it still has power. No fans turn on and when i hit the power button nothing happens. Any tips? i've taken it apart checked everything and it's all in correctly the cord to the power button are hooked up correctly.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer not working i need help :c
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer not working i need help :c
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could be a lot of things
by wpgwpg / April 26, 2013 7:05 AM PDT

It could be the power supply, motherboard, RAM, hard drive, bad power switch, or possibly even the CPU. If it beeps, you might be able to look up the codes, but otherwise I'd either take it to the shop for repair or throw it away. Taking it to the shop is likely to cost you at least $150, so depending on how old it is, it might or might not be worth it. When we paid $2000 to $3000 for PCs, it was worth having them repaired, but nowadays it's more like TVs; when they crap out I often just replace them.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
graphics card?
by neothesephiroth / April 28, 2013 3:10 PM PDT

could it have to do with my graphics card i recall a message the last time it worked saying something about the graphics card while the computer was starting up and after that it never turned on again

Collapse -
Answer
Some checks
by Willy / April 29, 2013 1:09 AM PDT

All too often the PSU(power supply) fails. You mention of the GPU(video) message could be a clue because its very power hungry and video takes down a PSU. If you have another video card, try it. If not BUT maybe some on-board video port, use that, remove video card and check results. If still no go, then replace PSU with similar or better wattage unit. You can also reduce the power demands, disconnect whatever to reduce power, like all drives, etc., minimize the system so it can still work, what are the results? Take it from there or do the above, replace items.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
not the video card
by neothesephiroth / April 29, 2013 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Some checks

ok i removed the video card completely still won't turn on so i should just buy a new psu?

Collapse -
Did you perform the usual PSU TEST? Google this!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: not the video card

PSU GREEN WIRE TEST.

Collapse -
Next move
by Willy / April 29, 2013 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: not the video card

Your reply doesn't offer if there is another video source. No banter, please provide all you can. Did the cpu fan "twitch" when power applied? Unplug main AC power for 5min. then reconnect and apply power to PC, what is the reaction? if nothing seems to work and you tried the "short PSU pins Robert mentioned" google for that tip. If it still doesn't work, then get another PSU, if you have a spare around use it. Does it beep when power applied?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Psu green wire failed
by neothesephiroth / April 30, 2013 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Next move

ok so i disconnected reconnected all of that. i tried the green wire test and no reaction at all nothing budged not the psu fan or anything. i have no spare psu atm so i can't test a new one quite yet.

Collapse -
That test is pretty good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Psu green wire failed

I've used it for years.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.