Storage forum

General discussion

Computer not recognizing external hard drive

by svevenstar / February 14, 2010 1:06 PM PST

Last summer I purchased a 1T Lacie external hard drive, and lately it's been acting up. Every once in a while the computer wouldn't recognize it, but if I restarted the external hard drive that usually solved it. Last night, however, my computer stopped recognizing the drive, and nothing I've done has helped (restarting the computer, restarting the hard drive, and trying a different USB port). When I turn on the hard drive my computer makes the "ding" sound that I usually take to mean it recognizes it, but when I go to my computer the hard drive either doesn't appear or only "Local Disc (F:)" appears without the usual ____ gb/____gb used and when I double click on it the My Computer folder freezes and I can't access the hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciate!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer not recognizing external hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer not recognizing external hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drive or enclosure issue
by Steven Haninger / February 14, 2010 7:03 PM PST

I'd try the drive directly connected to the MB if possible. They do go bad. If it works that way, there's an issue with the enclosure or its power supply. You can try to put the drive in another enclosure and see if it works.

Collapse -
Attaching it to the MB
by svevenstar / February 15, 2010 1:12 AM PST

I'm sorry, I'm a bit lacking in knowledge when it comes to computers. How would I attach it directly to the MB?

Thanks so much!

Collapse -
You'd need to remove the drive from the enclosure first
by Steven Haninger / February 15, 2010 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: Attaching it to the MB

and then open the computer's case. You'd need to determine whether the drive was SATA or PATA by the rear connectors. You'd need to attach the drive to an available port on the MB if SATA. If PATA, it could be attached by an unused plug on a cable or open IDE port on the MB but there may be jumpers to deal with. It's not that difficult but depends on your own comfort level with trying this.

Collapse -
Working now
by svevenstar / February 18, 2010 7:27 AM PST

I plugged my hard drive into another power outlet and now it's working fine. Thanks so much for your help! Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.