Computer Help forum

Question

Computer not booting up

by billnich56 / July 16, 2013 4:13 PM PDT

I have a Dell xps l702x laptop running windows 7 home.
It has run fine until yesterday. Tried to boot it up and the dvd made noise and then the cpu fan came on and then nothing else. None of the normal lights came on and nothing on the monitor nor did it try to post. In trying to shut it down I held the power button for a while but it would not turn back off. I had to unplug the power supply and take out the battery.
Thanks for anyones help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer not booting up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer not booting up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Run hardware diagnostics
by DELL-Appu_S Dell staff / July 17, 2013 4:27 AM PDT

Hi billnich56,

Try to drain the residual power from the laptop:
-Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
-Then remove the adapter and the battery
-Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
-Reconnect the battery and the adapter
-Try to restart the computer and check

If the system powers back on, then I would suggest you to run the Dell Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select 'Diagnostics' from the boot menu.

Thanks and Regards,
Appu S

Collapse -
Did these things
by billnich56 / July 17, 2013 2:21 PM PDT

Thanks, Appu

Already drained flee power. Oddly enough before I did it the laptop wouldn't even show the adapter
was plugged in. After it started in the same manor but the power adapter light showed that the power
supply was plugged in.

Billnich56

Collapse -
Different adapter.
by DELL-Appu_S Dell staff / July 18, 2013 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Did these things

Hi Billnich56,

It the system does not power on at all, then it might be an issue with the motherboard or the DC-in port and may require replacement. I would suggest you to try an alternate AC Adapter and check. Else, the suggested part replacement would the the DC-in port first. The issue issue persists, then the motherboard wold have to be replaced.

Thanks and Regards,
Appu S

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the generic reset noted at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 1:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks Bob, no luck
by billnich56 / July 17, 2013 4:18 PM PDT

Appreciate the suggestion, no luck with that.

Collapse -
Then less parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob, no luck

Here a good laptop might come back if I remove the battery and drives and maybe the WiFi card and leave it at one stick of RAM. This is the common bare minimum to see the screen light up with the boot details. It's not supposed to boot but it can let me see if the issue is the laptop or the items I removed.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks guys,
by billnich56 / July 20, 2013 5:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Then less parts.

Did all this. Not helping. May have got a power surge that nuked the mainboard as we had lots of
storms in the area that night. Se la vie. Going to buy another one on ebay cause I love it and also
I need a workstation computer. Then I can do cross diagnostics to figure out this ones problem and fix
it also.

Thanks,
Bill.

Collapse -
I find it's easier
by glb613 / July 20, 2013 8:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks guys,

and cheaper to unplug my electronics during bad storms than buy new.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.