PC Hardware

General discussion

Computer not booting-Only BEEPS!

by DianeK / March 9, 2005 4:18 AM PST

I have an older PC -- Custom built -- Intel Pentium 3, Win98, Maxtor Hard drive, CD-ROM, Floppy....when I turn my computer on, it's getting power, lights on, fans going, lights flash on keyboard, but then the hard drive just gives long beeps and does not boot up. I have disconnected all peripherals except mouse, keyboard and monitor. I just get beeps. Thanks for any suggestions!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer not booting-Only BEEPS!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer not booting-Only BEEPS!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Getting beeps is great, in a way.
by Ray Harinec / March 9, 2005 5:01 AM PST

Multiple beeps can be either bad video card, bad memory, bad CPU. Wouls try any old video card first.

What beep code are you getting??? They can be a series of short beeps, short then long and similar combinations thereof.

Depending on the make of the BIOS you can go to their site to see the beep codes [possibily].

Collapse -
Beeps
by DianeK / March 9, 2005 5:52 AM PST

just long beeps-- about 3-4 seconds long with a 1 or 2 second pause in between. I tried connecting a new keyboard, but it didn't work. I think it has a Phoenix(??) BIOS. I will see if I can find anything. Thanks

Collapse -
Got it working
by DianeK / March 9, 2005 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: Beeps

I looked at sites for Beep codes, looked for any BIOS codes that matched my beep and found somthing that said one long beep meant RAM probem. I popped it out, bew air in the slot, then made sure it was snug again. It worked. Of course I will spend the next couple of hours backing stuff up and praying that it starts up again in the morning. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wonderful!!!!
by Ray Harinec / March 9, 2005 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: Got it working
Collapse -
Computer not booting-Only BEEPS
by west texas / March 11, 2005 1:48 AM PST

Diane:
If it happens again try booting up from the 3 1/2 floppy disk that you made when you first installed Windows 98. Sometimes this will do the trick.

Collapse -
west texas
by billzhills / March 11, 2005 5:34 AM PST

System that produces a beep code is not booting to the BIOS. The BIOS checks critical hardware components and loads into memory the nessary commands to boot the system. (simplifed)

Collapse -
BEEPING COMPUTER
by GAZOO548 / March 12, 2005 10:41 AM PST

I have had this problem and also know of a few others.When this happens it is usually caused because you need a new keyboard.Try another keyboard or take that keyboard to another computer and see if it does the same thing.Then you will know if it's the keyboard.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.