Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer/mouse hanging up with no apparent cause...

by cmk59 / June 6, 2006 7:58 AM PDT

My system is an 19 month old HP Pavilion with an Athlon XP 3200 processor, 756meg of RAM and a half-full 200GB hard drive. (I have a 300 GB drive slaved to it, but haven't used it yet.) I run Windows XP Home, and operate behind a Cisco firewall router and Sygate firewall to inhibit unwanted intrusions. I've checked for every bug and virus currently known to man, Microsoft, AVG and SpyBot S&D, and can't find anything else that could cause the problems I've been enduring for several months now:

After my computer has been running for awhile (several hours), I frequently endure a condition where the following happens:

1. Mouse/cursor hangs up;

2. Hard drive access light flickers on and stays on for several seconds at a time while cursor hangs up;

3. It's seems to be in/on the hard drive, as the Task Manager shows nothing amiss save a large (up to 95%) usage of the processor for brief periods, while the accompanying bar graph shows almost nothing.

I'm thinking something (the Indexing Service???) is hanging up the hard drive, but I'd THOUGHT I turned it off some weeks ago, after a message I saw in another forum. I can't even remember how to get there again, and naturally Microsoft is no help.

What else could be causing this? The only way I can stop it is to shut down the computer, after which the problem goes away for several hours.

Finally, could this also be causing the graphic images on my screen to hang up when I'm switching between applications while multitasking?

THANKS!

Chuck in Norman, OK

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer/mouse hanging up with no apparent cause...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer/mouse hanging up with no apparent cause...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When was the last time.....
by Michael Geist / June 6, 2006 8:28 AM PDT

you checked the insides for dust or failing fans? Overheating can cause software-like issues. Try the machine with the side panel off and a fan pointed in.

Collapse -
Checking for Dust...
by cmk59 / June 6, 2006 9:42 AM PDT

Looked inside...everything's operating as it should be; almost no dust (I also run a huge fan mounted to the front of the case that blows to the back, covered with filter material...the temp sensors are registering a fairly decent 92 degrees, a little cool for this processor, but average since I put the fan in. Thanks, though!

Collapse -
mouse hangs during HD access
by astickman / May 28, 2008 8:44 PM PDT

I'm having the exact same problem in my Dell e1705 laptop. It's also about 18 months old and has xp. I've scanned it looking for spyware/virus, and it's clean. The computer is otherwise very fast and responsive. I've updated the bios, all hd drivers and software, etc. Rebooting does bring it back to "normal" but in my case it only takes about 2-3 hours for it to start the behavior. I can see the HD activity light going at the exact moment the mouse stops responding. As soon as the HD light goes off, the mouse moves again fine.

There are only 2 things I've done that might have something to do with it.

1. I upgraded the memory. Bought it from a reputable source, did not notice any problems after the upgrade.

2. Computer quit while ripping a CD on battery power. I thought I was plugged in but someone had turned off that outlet and I was running about an hour and a half on battery power... then it shut down due to the battery being exhausted. When I found the problem the computer was somewhat locked up and I had to do a cold start, and everthing seemed to be fine.

It's very much like the HD writing cache is turned off.

I do not know if this is possible under windows xp, but that's how it acts.

Does anyone have the solution to this problem? When working hard, it can really make the day frustrating.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.