Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer monitor Vs. LCD TV as monitor

by ayan_b23 / February 1, 2009 8:07 PM PST

Hi, What are the advantages and disadvantages of using an LCD TV instead of a computer desktop?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer monitor Vs. LCD TV as monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer monitor Vs. LCD TV as monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pixels and resolution.
by Coryphaeus / February 1, 2009 9:03 PM PST

Less on the TV.

Collapse -
depends on the LCD TV's resolution
by ramarc / February 2, 2009 12:30 AM PST

if it's a 1080p TV then its resolution (1920x1080) will be as good as any monitor. if it's a 720p TV, then its resolution (1280x720 or 1366x768) will be somewhat lower than most monitors. so, a 26" 720p TV will be easy to read but will display less information than a 22" monitor.

Collapse -
Big advantage!
by Brianstech / February 13, 2009 10:38 AM PST

First thing of course is the larger size. Next is you are also getting a HDTV tuner built right in. You should save money by not purchasing a TV and monitor separately.

I also agree with ramarc about resolution. With my recent purchase of an LG 37" LCD @ 720p, I had absolutely no reason to spend more on 1080p as far as picture quality. The one I got is amazing, BUT! When I switch sources from one of my 22" monitors at 1680x1050 to the TV's native 1366x768, all my web pages need resized (CTRL+Scroll). Some programs even lose the bottom of their GUI's until I resize or move them. It's not a big deal, but I'm now considering a much larger panel with 1080p, partly so the resolution matches my 22" monitors a little more closely.

Another important thing to consider is timing. Most of the cheaper LCD TV's I looked at a few months ago had an 8ms GTG (gray to gray) delay time that would cause visual tearing, ghosting, and/or artifacts during games and even possibly with movies and TV. That factor narrowed the search for me down to Aquos at 6ms, or the LG at 5ms. The LG cost a little more, but I preferred the 3 HDMI inputs over the 2 that most others had.

I say go for it! My next TV/monitor will be 65-67"!

Collapse -
depends
by porsche10x / February 14, 2009 7:42 AM PST

In spite of the other comments, for any given size, an LCD monitor will usually have higher resolution than the same size LCD TV. As soon as you get into the 22 to 24 inch size, monitors will usually have 1920 x 1200 wide screen resolution, which is higher than 1080p. The same size TV will probably be 720p. This is partly because computer monitors are designed to be used much closer to you than a TV would be. As mentioned, monitors have no tuners, but the newer, larger ones usually have HDMI connectors and can often be used with a cable box, DVD player, etc. Then again, you're looking to use a TV as a monitor, not the other way around. The next question would be why? Monitors are usually half the price of a TV, sometimes a lot less than half, for a higher resolution image, better optimized for desktop use. I wanted both a TV and a computer in my kitchen, so I bought a TV-to-VGA converter and an LCD monitor. Both together were still half the price of a cheap TV, and I have both TV and a computer on the same display. I don't even have to turn on the computer to watch TV.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for a fairly large display, then an LCD TV might be cheaper, but the resolution will be much lower. A 30 inch LCD monitor with dual link DVI at 2560

Collapse -
Big Screen Gaming Machine
by Johnny577 / August 2, 2010 4:32 PM PDT

Hi I am going to buy a big screen TV around 50 inch , just wondering what I have to look for if I'm hooking a laptop to it so I can play fast action games on it with out it being blurry or distorted . Do I look for low Ms or is it High MHz any information would help is this makes sense.

Collapse -
Sitting too close
by bbcarver71 / August 5, 2010 6:16 AM PDT

How far away would you have to sit to see the picture clearly?

Collapse -
Want more desktop
by robpannell / November 1, 2010 10:03 AM PDT

I want to use a 42" Samsung as a computer montitor. The reason is i want to have a 42" monitor is for more desktop space. I hook up the tv and it just makes everthing huge. I would like to have a desktop space where i can have outlook up and see it regular, along iwth an internet explorer and work with excel, so basic breakin it up into 4 areas so they are on top at all times......is this possible?
thanks, Rob

Collapse -
No. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2010 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Want more desktop

Almost all HDTVs top out at 1080p. So no more pixels than a 32 inch or a 20 inch.
Bob

Collapse -
YES! See our guide titled - BIG Screen LCD as PC Monitor
by Ron_Ellis / February 12, 2011 4:58 PM PST
In reply to: Want more desktop
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.