Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Monitor Randomly Going Into Standby Mode

by msu0227 / December 17, 2008 10:53 AM PST

My computer recently began to have a problem whereby the monitor will go into standby mode for no discernible reason. A few days ago I was playing a video game when the screen suddenly went into standby. After some trial and error I determined that the screen would go into standby mode whenever I launched a graphically intensive application, in my case any video game. I was still able to use it to browse the internet and for other non-graphically intensive uses. The next day I tried to play a game and it worked for about 60-90 minutes before the screen went into standby. I went back to using it solely for everyday usage.

However today, after using it for non-graphically intensive things, when the desktop launches it goes into standby almost immediately. I am able to use the computer in safe-mode without problems. I removed the graphics card drivers and reinstalled the newest version (which were the same that I uninstalled), and the problem persists. The drivers had been updated in October and I had been using it without incident until several days ago. I'm at a loss about what to do. I have changed no hardware and I also did a scan for virus and adware. No fans have broken and the room temperature has not changed significantly.

Sorry for the length.

MSI P6N SLI Platinum
Q6600
2GB CORSAIR DDR2 SDRAM
ENERMAX Noisetaker II 485W ATX12V
GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB pci-e
Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Monitor Randomly Going Into Standby Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Monitor Randomly Going Into Standby Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just A Thought..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 17, 2008 11:09 AM PST

It sounds like heat could be causing an issue.. Have you tried removing the cover and using compressed air to blow out the dust from around the processor, the heatsink, the power supply, all vents, and all fans? If not, please do.

And then, enter the Screen Saver/Power settings and change it so Standby isn't an option..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
another thought...
by mojojam / December 17, 2008 4:38 PM PST

While you have it unplugged and are blowing the dust out you could also check to make sure the card is seated properly. Although I guess the pci-e lock thingy should hold it in place it wouldn't hurt to check anyways. Oh yeah, you've probably already done this but check to make sure the cables are tight too.

Collapse -
Thank you but the problem persists
by msu0227 / December 18, 2008 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: another thought...

I bought some compressed air and went over all the components paying particular attention to the graphics card. While it was somewhat dusty, cleaning has not solved the issue. With regard to the card seating and cables, that was one of the first things I checked and they seem to be good.

As far as the issue of temperature, my case blows out colder air than is in the room most of the time. When I monitor the temp. of my cpu it rarely tops 65 and is rated for 100. So far as I can tell the GPU does not have a mechanism to measure it's temperature. I am wondering if GPUs use the same thermal paste as CPUs, and if so should I clean it and reapply to check if temperature is the problem.

Again, thanks for everyones help so far.

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by msu0227 / December 18, 2008 11:15 AM PST

It seems that my graphics card was slowly dying. It is now to the point were the monitor does not turn on at all. I remembered I had a rather ancient pci graphics card and the computer works, albeit slowly. Looks like it's time to order a new card.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.