Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Makes a Loud Humming Noise.

by PinkGlitterFaery / November 5, 2003 11:42 AM PST

I have a HP XE783. It has always made this really annoying loud humming noise. Does anyone know what it is and how to stop it? I was thinking it may be the fan???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Makes a Loud Humming Noise.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Makes a Loud Humming Noise.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Computer Makes a Loud Humming Noise.
by Willy / November 5, 2003 12:20 PM PST

Most noise is from a bad or old fan with dust build-up. Remove or open the clam shell case(yours?) and see where the noise is coming from. Now is a good time to inspect as well as clean the innards. The power supply is another fan source but any fan can be a noisy one. Also, check to see if any *reasonace* from metal vibrates the hum or similar, if so, tighten or place some wieght there to help control reasonce. Sad -----Willy

Collapse -
Re:Computer Makes a Loud Humming Noise.
by Brandon Eng / November 5, 2003 1:29 PM PST

So you've had this problem from the start, correct? I agree with what willy has said. I'd suggest opening up the case and sticking your head in there and attempt to find out exactly what the source is- sometimes feeling all over the case can give you a hint from the vibration you feel. Do you have a relatively high-end video card? This is often the source of noise- really not much to do about this. I've seen stuff you can put inside a pc case to dampen sound, but I personally think this would interefere with air-flow which would increase the heat inside- not a good thing. If you do find dust, get some compressed air and blow it all out- not only on the fans, but *everywhere*. I blew a soundcard because of dust build-up (had case open for a long time dust further insulated what I think is called a capacitor). Main thing I wanted to point out is the video-card, assuming all things are firmly screwed, and no dust- I've seen/heard some really loud vid cards. Good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.