Computer Help forum

Question

Computer knocked over...

by code4Riggs / November 4, 2012 10:30 AM PST

Hi,

Im new to these forums but i could really use some advice from some one savvy in this field.

About 2 weeks ago, my Gaming Desktop was knocked over. It was running at the time, as far as i know. The noticeable damage was the CPU fan had come UN-fastened form the mother board. I put it back on and it seems to be fine. its since stayed fastened and runs correctly.

When i booted it back up. there was a beeping coming from the second hard drive which i have since discovered is no longer usable. That has been removed.

Aside from that and a system repair on the first reboot, all seemed to be Ok. or so i thought.

Now no matter which game it is, i can connect to a server no problem and sit still with really no issue. As soon as i start to move i get a stuttering both on screen and in my headphones. This Lag will occur in increments. usually 5-7 second spike then 5 seconds smooth, then another 5-7 second lag spike and so on. The sound stutter matches the graphic lag i am seeing. to me is almost sounds like a disc spinning or rubbing on something.
I have removed the gfx card along with the ram and reinstalled them.
this did not help the situation. So i thought maybe the Graphics card (GTX 260 - kinda outdated) was damaged internally. I went out and purchased a GTX 550 TI.
Sadly... this did not help the problem, so i will be returning that to the store tomorrow.

So I am here seeking advice as to what you all think could be the problem. I really hope its not the mother board, and since everything runs fine until I am in game i assumed it was something easy.

what would make the most sense to test next?

HardDrive - main harddrive with OS on it and all essential files.

PSU - seems fine, although i read it could possible be the problem if damaged some how. (corsair 850watt)

Mother board. - FXF mobo, no obvious damage spotted. i guess it possible that there is a crack maybe where the gfx card connect to the pci slot. i looked at it pretty thorough.

any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
like i said the computer runs fine until i get into a game.
if its too serious i would almost rather order and build a whole new rig. as of now this is a great e machine...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer knocked over...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer knocked over...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You mentioned that ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 5, 2012 10:53 AM PST

"the CPU fan had come UN-fastened form the mother board" and that you re-attached it. Did you clean off and refresh the thermal paste when you did that? If you didn't, there are probably air pockets that allow uneven overheating.

Collapse -
computer knocked over.
by code4Riggs / November 5, 2012 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: You mentioned that ...

i did not apply new paste, there was still some on there from the original and i figured it was sufficient. I will get some tomorrow and give this a try. I will let you know the results tomorrow. thanks for your reply!

Collapse -
thanks!
by code4Riggs / November 7, 2012 3:04 PM PST
In reply to: You mentioned that ...

yea man... i replaced the thermal compound and so far it seems to have totally fixed the issue.

just wanted to extend my thanks for your advice, you have saved me a decent chunk of change along with a whoooole lotta frustration. also i learned something.

Take care and keep doing what ya do!

-Riggs

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.