Computer Help forum

Question

Computer keeps restarting itself, how can I fix it?

by Rajatapaus / August 5, 2013 10:57 PM PDT

System components:

6GB-Kit A-DATA G-Series PC1600 CL9
Antec Nine Hundred, ATX
ASUS DRW-24B3ST Bulk SATA
ASUS P8P67 Rev 3.0, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3
Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II, 2GB, PCI-Express
Super-Flower SF700A14A Gamer Edition 700W
Xigmatek Aegir SD128264 Heatpipe Cooler 120mm

One day I left my computer running for hours, and after I came back I saw google chrome notifying me that my computer wants to shut down, and asking me if I want to proceed. That is how this nightmare started.

So I close chrome, causing my computer to restart. After browsing web a while, I got the same notification again, but I just ignored it and kept browsing, and after I close chrome again, my computer restarted. Next time I used my computer, I had no time to even open chrome when my computer restarted, then it sometimes restarted even before I could get to bios. I managed to set all bios settings to default, but it was useless, random restarts still persisted, I could hardly use my computer for 10 minutes before restart. It somehow got better (for no reason?!) and I almost thought that my computer is working now, untill it started happening again. Now I cant even get to bios ever again. Now when the computer restarts itself, it just shuts down, and starts itself again after 5-10 minutes, if I try to manually start the computer in between, it wont work, I have to pull the plug and re insert it, and after that the computer starts itself ALWAYS.

I managed to set bios to default, and to see CPU temperature there, it was normal, about 40c. I also have taken the BIO's battery off, and manually restarted bios using jumper cap.

I suspected faulty PSU, so I bought a new one, but the issue have not changed at all. My new PSU is a Seasonic M12-2 bronze.

I have tried the system without any hard disks, RAM, and GPU, but I can see no difference at all.

I cant figure anything more about this myself, I think the motherboard might be faulty...
Please help :/

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer keeps restarting itself, how can I fix it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer keeps restarting itself, how can I fix it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) What OS are you running?
by wpgwpg / August 5, 2013 11:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Rajatapaus / August 6, 2013 12:07 AM PDT

Windows 7, but I hardly think it matters, because I cant even get to bios, it crashes like 5 seconds after powering up.

Collapse -
Sadly it does matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2013 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: ......

A few members have spent hundreds of posts and finally a few revealed they were using a cracked pirate version of the OS.

While it's clear to the moderators we can't expect that to work, folk continue to try that.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let me ask another question than wpgwpg.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 5, 2013 11:22 PM PDT

How does this PC behave when you run Linux from a bootable disk?

My guess is that it is some hardware error indeed. In that case, Linux will do the same. Then have it repaired.

By the way, how did you manage to run a system without RAM?

Kees

Collapse -
by Rajatapaus / August 6, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

I cant run Linux or anything on that matter. I remember it restarted even when I was on the bios screen, but I cant even access bios anymore, as I said: " Now I cant even get to bios ever again." because the computer restarts like 5 second after powering it up.

Collapse -
Then I agree with the bad-motherboard-idea.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 6, 2013 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: .....

Although it could be a bad CPU or bad RAM also.

Seems it seems to be a pretty new machine you might still have warranty on it? Or, if you built it yourself, on the components?

Kees

Collapse -
by Rajatapaus / August 6, 2013 12:22 AM PDT

Well it still restarts even if only components that are present are CPU, Motherboard and PSU, so that would leave out the RAM?

I ordered the parts alone, but even If i have warranty, I still need to know what part exactly to send back? :/

Collapse -
That's why a professional builder ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 6, 2013 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: ....

has hardware and software to test the components.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Restarting
by pgc3 / August 5, 2013 11:42 PM PDT

So you cannot boot to Safe Mode? And the system ran without Ram? OS? Recovery media? My first guess would have been corruption, virus, malware etc. Now I'm not so sure but I think IF you can't boot to safe mode, it is time to start from scratch, format reload etc. etc. It may well be hardware but first things first.

Collapse -
by Rajatapaus / August 6, 2013 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Restarting

The computer restarts 5 seconds after boot. Maybe I was not clear enough.

I dont know if it could be a bios virus, but it restarts even if no hard drives are plugged in, and I did some sort of bios restart using jumper cap, so that would take care of potential viruses?

Collapse -
5 second reboot
by pgc3 / August 6, 2013 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: ........

That being the case, sounds like hardware, thinking MB.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.