Computer Help forum

Question

Computer keeps restarting itself.

by hineh / November 24, 2012 3:37 PM PST

Hi. I can turn my computer on and it will stay on for about 20 mins then it will just shut itself off and restart itself. Then it will keep loading and restarting itself over and over and will just keep doing it. Theres
no particular point it gets to before it shuts off, sometimes it will turn on for a second and sometimes it will fully load windows. I do occasionaly get the message "overclocking failed" press f1 to ententer bios or f2 to load defaults. It hasnt been overclocked. I changed the power supply, cleaned the fan, changed the cmos batery because it
was loosing time. Ive tried to turn off automatic restart but i dont see any blue screen or error code and then when i went back to check if i had turned it off the tick was still there. So i unticked it and made sure to save it. But then it happened again the tick was still there. Not sure if thats normal? Also Ive noticed that when i change and save settings in bios the next time i enter bios they have gone back to the default settings.
Im running windows xp with asus motherboard p5vdc-mx. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?
Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer keeps restarting itself.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer keeps restarting itself.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Restart
by pgc3 / November 25, 2012 1:48 AM PST

Does it do the same thing in SAFE mode??

Collapse -
computer restarts
by hineh / November 25, 2012 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: Restart

Yes it still does it in safe mode. I managed to do system restore and after that it seemed to work fine but this morning it shut off again.

Collapse -
Shut down
by pgc3 / November 26, 2012 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: computer restarts

VAPCMD has a point. From the description it sounds as if it MIGHT be heat related. Assuming that this is a desktop, leave the side case(s) off and watch the fans, specifically CPU fan to see if it might be dragging (running slowly) or stopping altogether, it could be something that simple and could create a shut down situation owing to heat build up.

Collapse -
Have you checked the capacitors for leakage, doming, or
by VAPCMD / November 26, 2012 9:37 AM PST
In reply to: computer restarts

bulging ?

What PSU and video card ?

If you really want ....more detail is required.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
How old is it ? Desktop or laptop ? If desktop....how's it
by VAPCMD / November 25, 2012 8:27 AM PST

look inside ?

If it were mine, I'd download/run PCWizard and check the system temps....once you download it, install it, run it, then minimize it ...the system temps stay on the screen in the upper right hand corner.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
try the same mode
by ianmagic2 / November 26, 2012 1:47 PM PST

try the safe mode

Collapse -
My System is Restarting
by bishopayommanuel / November 27, 2012 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: try the same mode

I am facing the same problem with my Asus P7PS. I am running Windows 7 64bit. I need someone to help me out. The motherboard, Processor and RAM is just a year.

Collapse -
That might be possible but you have probably not read
by VAPCMD / November 27, 2012 9:10 AM PST

any of the many similar posts on 'system restarting' nor provided sufficient information about your system to make anything more than a generic guess.

'til then ...good luck.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Problem solved?
by hineh / December 4, 2012 8:35 PM PST

After the system restore I updated the bios using the Asus update tool. And since then it hasn't shut itself down.
Thanks for all the advice.

Collapse -
Hey... good to hear. Was fixing spontaneous restarts listed
by VAPCMD / December 5, 2012 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: Problem solved?

as a problem fixed by the new BIOS ?

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.