Computer Help forum

Computer keeps resetting when connected to the internet

by mrmrscarr / April 15, 2013 12:30 PM PDT

Within the last two weeks, my boyfriend has not been able to get on the internet with his Toshiba laptop. Whether it's using an ethernet cable or WIFI, the computer will automatically restart. I have tried everything I could think of to fix it. I've ran Malwarebytes. I've tried system restore. I've uninstalled/reinstalled devices. I've attempted to run Windows Update but failed due to the resetting. Better yet, anything dealing with connecting to the internet has completely failed. I wouldn't mind restoring to factory settings if I knew for sure that Windows 7 would also restore. I have no disc as this laptop was not accompanied by one. This computer doesn't have any programs of value as it's only used for iTunes and the internet.

Someone please help me.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer keeps resetting when connected to the internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer keeps resetting when connected to the internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You may want to make the restore DVDs now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 12:36 PM PDT

Can you share why the delay?

All Answers

Collapse -
Many computers come with a restore
by glb613 / April 15, 2013 8:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
by pgc3 / April 15, 2013 11:25 PM PDT

Have you tried booting into SAFE MODE ? Boot to Safe Mode, scroll to Safe Mode With Networking and see what happens, IF you can get there and IF you can get a hook up Malwarebytes in that mode...

Collapse -
safe mode
by mrmrscarr / April 16, 2013 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Issue

I've tried booting in safe mode, and safe mode with networking. As long as there is no ethernet cable or wifi turned on, the computer will remain on. I've ran malwarebytes in normal, safe mode, and safe mode with networking. It will keep saying trojan in C:\windows\svchost.exe

Collapse -
My dad's PC had that Zero Access rootkit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: safe mode

You can read what others wrote about it;threadListing

That one had us reload the OS for a short list of reasons. Even today the repair appears to be too deep to repair with ease or without cost.

While you have access to your files I'd get ready with backups (at least 2 copies on 2 devices) and read Grif's advice for scans as I only needed RKILL to detect that pesky infection. Here's Grif:;msg5099421

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.