Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Computer keeps freezing while using Firefox

by Misha230 / August 11, 2006 10:24 AM PDT

Hi,

My computer keeps freezing while browsing the web. I only use Firefox. For example, if I'm reading an email in my Yahoo account and then I click "sign out"...it freezes. Or if I click too fast on a link, it freezes. I usually have only two windows open at the same time, and do not have additional programs running.

Even if I use ctrl+alt+delete, the computer doesn't respond to it. I have to manually turn it off and restart.

I have uninstalled Firefox once and reinstalled it. The problem seemed to go away for a while and now it has come back. I have checked for viruses/spyware and my computer comes clean. I have AVG, Ewido, Ad-Aware, Spybot, CCleaner.

Any ideas as to how to deal with this? Thank you!!

HP Pavilion a1240n
Windows XP SP2
Pentium4 630 (P) HT 3.0 GHz

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer keeps freezing while using Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer keeps freezing while using Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How frozen?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2006 10:26 AM PDT

Can you endtask Firefox?

If you can't then there are other issues. Such as power or cooling issues, out of date drivers, etc.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How frozen?
by Misha230 / August 11, 2006 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: How frozen?

No, I can't endtask Firefox. I can not use the keyboard or mouse. The computer doesn't respond to anything. I can't use crtl+alt+del.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Thank you!

Collapse -
Need more clues. You didn't see this tip/note?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2006 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: How frozen?

"Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

Do try latest motherboard and more drivers for your machine.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Computer freezes
by Misha230 / August 11, 2006 3:10 PM PDT

Sorry, my fault. I thought the info I included in the first post was enough. Here is more info about my computer:

HP Pavilion Model a1240n
Processor: Pentium4 630 (P) HT 3.0 GHz

Motherboard:Manufacturer: Asus /Motherboard Name: PTGD-LA/HP motherboard name: Goldfish3-GL8

Hard drive: 200 GB SATA
Memory: 1GB (2x512)
16x DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive
DVD-ROM drive
Video graphics: Integrated with up to 128 MB allocated video memory

Thanks.

Collapse -
That's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2006 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Computer freezes

Some video drivers are known trouble makers. To test,
just in the VIDEO ACCELERATION setting and slide it all
the way to none, then retest. How? see
http://www.deskshare.com/Resources/articles/dmc_turnoffhardwareacceleration.aspx

Again, hunt down the latest drivers and hope that cures it.

For example I see the date 6/29/2005 at http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2159&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21

I'm sure there are other updates.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by Misha230 / August 18, 2006 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a clue.

I tried to update the driver for the graphics card (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900) but when I downloaded it and tried to install it, I received a message saying that the installation could not proceed because either a file is "missing or corrupt."

Also, I noticed that the computer tends to freeze when I'm online and go to a website that has a lot of ads and graphics. It seems that when all the graphics are being loaded the computer freezes.

Not sure what to do next. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Collapse -
Have someone else download it and put on CDR.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2006 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

This is not unusual for spyware infected machines or ones with download accelerators.

I'd remove all spyware and accelerators.

Bob

Collapse -
Same problem here
by Cheese61 / September 11, 2006 4:53 AM PDT

I've seen a few other posts on the net concerning this so you aren't alone.

Collapse -
Have you read the replies and done the suggested items?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem here

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.