Computer Help forum

Computer is shutting off without notice.

by CriminalIndulgence / February 25, 2013 11:57 AM PST

Before I begin.. It's a fossil. I know it, but I can't afford another computer at the moment and it works for school. So with that cleared up and to avoid any complaints about that!

It's a Desktop, was built and sent to me but I will supply everything I can.

-Microsoft Windows XP Professional
-Version 2002
-Service Pack 3

-Pentium \9\(R) 4 CPU 2.66 GHz
-2.66 GHz. 0.99 GB of RAm

Local Disk
-37.2 GB

Graphics Card
-Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
-Manufacturer-Intel Corporation

I looked to see if there were any errors..
There is one, as of the most recent shut off.. And a bunch of system notifications.

The error states,
"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at"

Please note that these are posted UP from the error.. So happened after the error occurred.
The system notifications say that a bunch of things have entered a start control:
-The Network Location Awareness (NLA)
-The Network Location Awareness (NLA)
-The Application Layer Gateway Service
-The Application Layer Gateway Service
-The Terminal Services
-The Fast User Switching Compatibility
-The Fast User Switching Compatibility
-The IMAPI CD-Burning COM
-The SSDP Discovery Service
-The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
-The iPod Service service
-The SSDP Discovery Service service
-The iPod Service service
-The Telephony service entered the running state.
-The Remote Access Connection Manager service
-The Remote Access Connection Manager service
-The HTTP SSL service
-The HTTP SSL service

These ones entered a stopped state?
-The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state.
-The Skype Updater service entered the stopped state.

I am running an antivirus now and will post what it says after I complete a full system scan.

Thanks for any help or ideas that may stop this from happening.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer is shutting off without notice.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer is shutting off without notice.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
How long since?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 11:35 PM PST

1. Canned air to vents and heat sinks?

2. The P4 is old enough to need at least two refreshes of the heat sink compound. How long since that was done?

Collapse -
by Willy / February 25, 2013 11:45 PM PST

You may have answered your own question. being XP and having dragged it forward all these yrs. it finally is giving up the ghost. What maybe a sum total of minor erros or problem(s) that together bring it down. Maybe by their own they don't but as a system wide issue just bring it to its knees. You have to swap or play this or that to get everything into the mix to happy again. You may need to totally reload the whole XP setup from scratch. I would strongly suggest finding another HD, a 40gb may have "soft error" locations which cause corruption over time. Also, the whole slew of all those pgms. can over time be a heachache to manage as well, so the weakest link finally appears. In total, you may have a small problem but on its turn to boot causes an issue. In general, I google away to find what that error means, while it may stand for this or that, you may to replace/swap a whole item to get beyond it. Also, understand even if XP supported if you have alot going on, XP can by its older nature of an OS be crippled as newer or the latest gadget gets installed. Even if it works, it's just another item that has to be taken care of.

Alas, if you're running a AV pgm. now do you do this on a regular basis. Was there installed a decent AV pgm. before? Did you update any recent drivers, etc., in other words keep updated as required. Also, don't allow MS update service provide h/w or s/w updates NOT made by them, it sometimes causes problems of it's own.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.