Computer Newbies forum

Question

Computer is freezing up

by BaloneySandwiches / August 28, 2013 3:33 AM PDT

My computer has been freezing up every time I log in. Sometimes it might be during the blue welcome screen or it might be when I open firefox. I've had my brother check for anything and he said that there wasn't anything wrong when he opened up the computer. My guess is that it might be AVG but I'm not too sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not 100% sure of my specs so I couldn't tell you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer is freezing up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer is freezing up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Some things to check
by wpgwpg / August 28, 2013 3:48 AM PDT

The first thing I'd check would be your temperatures. I use SpeedFan which you can download for free, but there are others as well. You want your temps under 50 degrees C. You could boot to Safe Mode and check for viruses and malware. You could also look at the very cryptic system event log for entries flagged "error". As you might guess, there're lots of possibilities, but the above 3 things are good for starters.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Check for viruses
by mttfwi / October 10, 2013 12:22 AM PDT

Hi,

I would run Kaspersky 10 antivirus or try a different antivirus for viruses such as avast. Sometimes viruses will corrupt the antivirus program first so you are unaware anything is wrong. I would also recommend running a spyware program like Spybot search and destroy to delete any malicious programs that are not necessarily viruses. If you feel comfortable, go into your control panel, programs, and look for programs that you don't recognize and use - especially toolbars - and uninstall anything you don't need. Many times when people download from the internet, they do an "easy install" which allows the program to install additional add on programs along with the program you wanted. Beware of this step though if you are not sure what you are doing. There are programs you need that you may not be aware of such as adobe, adobe flash, and java.

Lastly, I might try a new antivirus program. AVG is quite susceptible to problems. No antivirus is perfect so anytime you notice issues with a slow computer, if your antivirus doesn't find anything, try another one or call for service.

Hope that helps.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove promotional link on 10/10/2013 at 10:28 AM PT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.