Computer Help

Question

Computer is freezing only on one website....

by TheaterMajor / March 20, 2013 8:39 AM PDT

Hi all, as you can probably tell by my handle, I know very little about computers other than how to turn them on/off and how to get online. Yesterday, my AcerAspire 5532 (runs on Windows 7) did something strange. I was on Facebook earlier in the day (using probably an old IE) and everything was fine, went to other sites, hung around online, the usual, then several hours later tried to get back on Facebook.

The browser window shut off, my desktop appeared, and the cursor/everything else was frozen. I left it for a while but it didn't correct itself. I thought it was a fluke, so I turned it off, turned it back on, opened Windows normally, and it did the same thing. I downloaded Google Chrome, and this time the browser window stays open but everything freezes. EVERY other site I visit is fine, it's just Facebook that freezes it on both browsers.

Two questions, really: 1) HOW do I fix this, if I can?
and 2), why would this just start all of a sudden? one of my Googled answers said it was something about internet options, but I didn't change anything between it working and it not.....any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
TheaterMajor

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer is freezing only on one website....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer is freezing only on one website....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
in your HTL
by itsdigger / March 23, 2013 9:15 PM PDT
I see this>>>>O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NortonOnlineBackupReminder] "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\Activation\NobuActivation.exe"
UNATTENDED and wonder if it is conflicts with this>>>> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010\avp.exe", just an observation ...Digger
Collapse -
??
by TheaterMajor / March 24, 2013 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: in your HTL

Could you elaborate a little more on that? What is that and why would it affect facebook only? And how would I rectify it?

Collapse -
I don't know if it means anything
by itsdigger / March 24, 2013 12:08 PM PDT
In reply to: ??

I have heard that Norton and Kaspersky don't play well together . I just through this in to see if it matters...Digger

Collapse -
(NT) I meant threw not through
by itsdigger / March 24, 2013 12:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
RE
by TheaterMajor / March 24, 2013 10:38 PM PDT

Would it just suddenly happen, though? I don't know anything about this. I've had both those programs since I got the laptop about 3 years ago, so while they may have issues together, why would it just suddenly come up now? That's not meant to be an argument against your idea, I genuinely want to know if that could happen....:)

Collapse -
I'm sure by now
by itsdigger / March 24, 2013 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: ??

people like Bob Proffitt and other pro's here have seen this and don't think it's an issue. I'm just not used to seeing Norton and Kaspersky playing together.....Digger

Collapse -
Re: norton and kaspersky
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm sure by now

I see no obvious reason why a backup program A shouldn't work together with antivirus B. Why do you think so?

Kees

Collapse -
as I said
by itsdigger / March 24, 2013 11:43 PM PDT

I wasn't sure and threw it out there just in case. The OP is just having a heck of a time fixing his/her issue...Digger

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the usual first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 8:55 AM PDT

Google this so you can try the usual first.

-> Disable Flash Hardware Acceleration. <-

Collapse -
Unable to change settings
by TheaterMajor / March 20, 2013 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the usual first.

I got all the way to the Troubleshoot/Change settings and the button to change the settings can't be clicked. It's greyed out, and I'm sure that's not the technical term.... is there an alternate way? or another solution you would recommend?

Collapse -
The reason I gave you that search
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 9:17 AM PDT

Is to provide you with a few billion ways to change it.
Bob

Collapse -
Ha, gotcha
by TheaterMajor / March 20, 2013 10:18 AM PDT

OK, i found an alternate way per someone on the Adobe Forums: Went to the Adobe site where you test your computer, right clicked on the one that is on my computer, and unchecked the Enable Acceleration box. restarted the browser, tried to get on Facebook, and it froze still in the same place. If that's not an acceptable way to disable the acceleration, then let me know. Other thoughts? Thanks so far for your suggestions. Happy

Collapse -
Answer
With that out of the way. Next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 10:47 AM PDT

We have to know a lot more. This lock up is not uncommon but we'll have to know more.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=facebook+locks+up+browser and add which browser we want to tackle.

"The Facebook Desktop Plug-in turns out to be the culprit. Disabling the Facebook Desktop Plug-in allowed Facebook to load and function normally.

Go Figure. "

Sorry but I can't guess which of the other issues this can be but let's hear more.
Bob

Collapse -
Will try today
by TheaterMajor / March 20, 2013 8:23 PM PDT

Thanks Rob, I'll try this tonight when I get home from work and let you know.
Fingers crossed!
~~~TM

Collapse -
Plugin update
by TheaterMajor / March 21, 2013 7:37 AM PDT

OK. I did that google search you posted above and did one for both IE 9 and Chrome, both of which are freezing. One of the suggestions was to remove FB from compatibility view, but it wasn't in compatibility view, so didn't do that. Should i have done the reverse and added it?
Now, when I checked both browsers for that Facebook Desktop Plugin, it wasn't on either one. So is the fact that it's missing, could that be the problem?
Since I couldn't disable the plug ins, I tried one more IE9 fix that the search turned up and reset my browser under the Internet Options/Advanced tab. Now, it still froze, but previously it had been closing the browser and then freezing. This time the browser stayed up but it froze anyway. I don't know if that means anything significant, freezing differently.

Collapse -
The problem as I see it is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Plugin update

That all browsers are locking up or closing. It's very odd that only FB is affected.

Now it's time for another test. Ready?

Create a new user account on this Windows PC and log out then into this new account and then test the facebook.com in the browser.
Bob

Collapse -
*sigh*
by TheaterMajor / March 21, 2013 8:50 AM PDT

No. I created the new account as a standard account, logged back in, tried fb in IE9 and it froze again. Still left the browser window open, but it froze up nonetheless. You are a trooper for hanging in there with me on this.

Since that facebook plug in was missing, could that be the problem, that I need to actually get it?

Collapse -
What is a standard account?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: *sigh*

I would have made the usual admin account.

I'm thinking of some protection addon but the clues are slim here. Are you sure that it's only facebook?
Bob

Collapse -
Oh ok
by TheaterMajor / March 21, 2013 9:46 PM PDT

I will go back in tonight, and change it to the administrative account and re-try.

I'm pretty sure it's only FB. Youtube still works, Google/my igoogle homepage still work, Amazon still works...I don't really surf around that much. The only other site I go to that i haven't tried is Netflix, which I will try tonight. If there's another site that you know of that causes this kind of problem that might help you narrow down the issue, let me know what it is and I'll try that site as well. I will try Netflix/a new admin account tonight and let you know.

Collapse -
update
by TheaterMajor / March 23, 2013 4:40 AM PDT

I went back and made the new user account an admin account and tried to log in, same thing. Browser window stayed open but it froze. I've tried all the other sites I usually go on, which aren't many, but they all work perfectly fine. Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Google, and a few other random sites, they're all normal.

Collapse -
Still quite the stumper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: update

Go ahead and post a HIJACKTHIS log for clues. Be sure to reboot so we see what's running at boot time and don't have to slog through extras.
Bob

Collapse -
log
by TheaterMajor / March 23, 2013 7:57 AM PDT

OK, Bob, I downloaded the Hijack thing and rebooted. As soon as it came back up I ran the program. I will tell you that it shot me a message halfway through that said it was being denied access to my Host files, whatever those are, and I have no idea how to give it access to those if you need it, but you are smart and can probably tell me how to get you those if you need them. So behold, my log.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 5:52:04 PM, on 3/23/2013
Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16470)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisTec\MyWinLocker 3\x86\mwlDaemon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisTec Egis Software Update\EgisUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer Arcade Deluxe\Acer Arcade Deluxe\ArcadeDeluxeAgent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer Arcade Deluxe\PlayMovie\PMVService.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010\avp.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l=0409&m=aspire_5532&r=27360310d505l0484z165t44k2x26o
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l=0409&m=aspire_5532&r=27360310d505l0484z165t44k2x26o
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l=0409&m=aspire_5532&r=27360310d505l0484z165t44k2x26o
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: IEVkbdBHO - {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010\ievkbd.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: link filter bho - {E33CF602-D945-461A-83F0-819F76A199F8} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010\klwtbbho.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EgisTecLiveUpdate] "C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisTec Egis Software Update\EgisUpdate.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ArcadeDeluxeAgent] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer Arcade Deluxe\Acer Arcade Deluxe\ArcadeDeluxeAgent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PlayMovie] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer Arcade Deluxe\PlayMovie\PMVService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NortonOnlineBackupReminder] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\Activation\NobuActivation.exe" UNATTENDED
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LManager] C:\Program Files (x86)\Launch Manager\LManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acer Assist Launcher] C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer\Acer Assist\launcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010\avp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Best Buy Software Installer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Best Buy Software Installer\Best Buy Software Installer.exe (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1004 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1003 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: &Virtual keyboard - {4248FE82-7FCB-46AC-B270-339F08212110} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010\klwtbbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype Click to Call - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Skype Click to Call - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: URLs c&heck - {CCF151D8-D089-449F-A5A4-D9909053F20F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010\klwtbbho.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O18 - Protocol: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~2\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\mzvkbd3.dll
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Anti-Virus (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010\avp.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Acer ePower Service (ePowerSvc) - Acer Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer ePower Management\ePowerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: GRegService (Greg_Service) - Acer Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer\Registration\GregHSRW.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: MyWinLocker Service (MWLService) - Egis Technology Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisTec\MyWinLocker 3\x86\\MWLService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NTI Backup Now 5 Backup Service (NTIBackupSvc) - NewTech InfoSystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTech Infosystems\NTI Backup Now 5\BackupSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NTI Backup Now 5 Scheduler Service (NTISchedulerSvc) - NewTech Infosystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTech Infosystems\NTI Backup Now 5\SchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Skype Updater (SkypeUpdate) - Skype Technologies - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Updater\Updater.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Updater Service - Acer - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Updater\UpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 11120 bytes

Collapse -
(NT) Looks good to me. I'm replying to the top post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: log
Collapse -
Answer
In regards to the HJT Log.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 8:27 AM PDT

Looks fine to me but that message about the block could be Kapersky stepping in. If not I'd research why it did that.

Bob

Collapse -
log
by TheaterMajor / March 23, 2013 11:14 AM PDT

would it be helpful to run it again with Kaspersky off so the Host files could be accessed, or are those files irrelevant to the issue?

At least the computer looks good. And I am learning way more about computers than I ever thought I would....

Collapse -
The hosts file is pretty important.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: log

I'll keep is short in what it does (the internet tells more) but if there is some odd entry there it could affect facebook across all browsers. There has never been any personal secrets in that file so here's how to open it up and if you post it, I'll check it out.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-hosts-file/ is fine but you don't need to check off the hidden files as it's not hidden.
Bob

Collapse -
Sample file only?
by TheaterMajor / March 24, 2013 9:26 AM PDT

OK, I'm sorry if this just reveals my incompetency, but I followed the file path to the host file and it only showed me a sample file: I'm really unsure if this is what you wanted or if there was something else I was supposed to do to this. I read the link you gave up there but--and maybe this is just because I'm not good at this--it really didn't help me much. I tried turning off the anti-virus, I didn't get anything telling me I wasn't administrator, it let me open in note pad.....I'm sorry, I'm going to need more help with this particular thing...this is all I could get it to give me. If this isn't right what do I need to do to fix it??

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

Collapse -
Was that "hosts" or "hosts.sam"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Sample file only?

You're doing great. We have covered a lot of ground but the clue is really being elusive.

Was that the "hosts" file?

I'm running out of the usual ideas so let's hear anything such as "it worked fine until _____________."
Bob

Collapse -
That is "hosts" not "hosts.sam"
by TheaterMajor / March 24, 2013 10:22 PM PDT

I saw the Hosts.sam, but that's not the one I used, since the site you linked to didn't say anything about that one.

There was nothing I did differently. I was online (using IE9) last Tuesday. I got on Facebook in the morning, it worked fine, no problems, went to Netflix and Youtube for a few hours, looked around Amazon for a while, and then later in the day tried to go back on Facebook. It froze, closed my browser window, and my desktop/cursor/everything was still frozen. I thought it was a fluke kind of thing, so I turned off the computer manually, turned it back on. I got that black screen that gives you the options of how to open windows, I opted to open it normally (instead of in some sort of safe mode). Tried to log in again to Facebook, same thing happened. I searched Google for some things, wound up downloading Chrome and trying because most people online said they had the same thing happen and Chrome worked. It froze up Chrome as well.

Basically, there was absolutely nothing I did out of the ordinary. No programs popped up asking to make changes to my computer, no notices from Kaspersky about anything, I didn't make any settings changes, I just went to Facebook, got off, went to other sites, and when I tried to get back on this whole thing started.

Collapse -
And that's quite the stumper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 1:30 AM PDT

We tried the new user account which should and does work if it's the issue I know of. But why I have to write this is once in a while some member will say they tried it but they didn't use a NEW account but another account.

It must be a NEW windows user account for the test run. If that works I have some luck in cleaning some files but the fact is that more than one browser hangs so that's why we looked at the HJT log and hosts.

This is going to be interesting if found.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.