Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

computer is freezing and mouse won't move

by mrsmcgee / April 30, 2007 2:20 AM PDT

I don't know my configuration, but I have a Compaq Presario, and Windows XP Home Edition operating system. I had to restart my computer in safe mode twice before it would load up properly. And every time I try to open my AVG 7.5 anti-virus program to run a virus scan, my computer freezes. This also happens when I try to open my Ad-Aware SE Personal spyware program. My mouse won't move, and even ctrl-alt-delete won't work! Can someone help me, as I have no clue what to do next!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer is freezing and mouse won't move
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer is freezing and mouse won't move
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some Steps To Take
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 30, 2007 4:37 AM PDT

First, try restarting into Safe Mode again and run full system scans with BOTH of the antispyware tools you mentioned.

Next, please click on the link below and follow the cleanup steps below to eliminate unneeded startup programs and services, plus do a general cleanup of the machine.. (The first part of the page mentions installing and scanning with antispyware tools, but since you will have already done that, you can skip the first part.)

Cleanup Things To Do

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
some steps to take
by mrsmcgee / April 30, 2007 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Some Steps To Take

I can't run the antivirus/spyware programs. Even in safe mode, they won't run. Even when I have it in safe mode, when I try to open them, my computer freezes. Also, I have discovered that when I try to open a browser, it says it can't connect to the internet. Is that common in safe mode? I'm so lost, lol. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Please Try The Rest Of The Instructions Provided.. OR...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 30, 2007 3:23 PM PDT
In reply to: some steps to take could try System Restore while in Safe Mode. (Click on Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore.. At the System Restore window, place a CHECK mark in the "Restore my computer to an earlier time", then click on "Next". At the next "Calendar" window, select a "bold" date that is prior to when the problem showed up. Follow the prompts to let the computer restore itself.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
RE: Same issues but Vist System Home Premium HP m7750n
by spadell / May 4, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

Hi! I'm ShellP & of course I'm a Newbie to All things Techie (including the Internet) I've had this PC for 3mo.s & have had to do restore & install every month (HP has sent 3 different sets of discs, says there were files missing to the prior ones?)
I don't know if it's me or the machine? but I have this same issue- plus my Windows won't stay (fixed?) when I click them? They keep going to the task bar! Also have (lost) my color options for Windows Vista frames, this list is ridiculous!
But India & even the HP free classes didn't help me. Can you give instructions or suggestions for doing this in Vista please?
I also have never performed a Back-up since I can't keep it running long enough to do anything but e-mail! And Windows Mail either doesn't respond or shut's down half the time! Geesh!! I'll try to ask for one thing at a time!

Pretty Please?

Collapse -
Lots Of Problems With Vista...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 5, 2007 3:17 AM PDT

I regards to your issues, I would continue to check the HP site for updated drivers for your computer.. In addition, check the website of your graphics card manufacturer to see if they have updated drivers.. (Occasionally, then graphics manufacturer will have a fix quicker than the computer manufacturer.)

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Vista Home Premium HP m7750n Home Media ctr.
by spadell / May 5, 2007 2:12 PM PDT

Thank you!
I've already checked all the drivers (if the check update tool is working correctly) I had not thought to check for the media card? Would that be the NVIDIA?

I also am having trouble keeping a Connection (Internet-Windows has detected connectivity problem, no solution found) I have broadband (cable) & my provider swears it's up. It has continued to interfer with my Vonage (phone breaks up, really bad when sending e-mail) Most HP & Microsoft & some other websites (cannot display the page. Blank!)
HPAccess has stopped working intermittently also, no solution found.

Have tried using only Norton Internet Security, & no Windows Firewall,,,I really am at a loss to what else to do?? HP also seems lost & Norton. Vonage swears it has no clue...

And so, we're all clueless in VISTA!

Collapse -
Not The 'Check Update' Tool
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 6, 2007 9:44 AM PDT

You'll need to physically visit the device manufacturer's website and search for any updates to your device.. For example, look in "Device Manager" for your wireless adapater and ethernet network card names, manufacturer/provider names, driver versions, and driver updates. Once that's done, then visit the provider's website and find the newest driver for those devices.

Whether you're audio or Video card is Nvidia or something else, check in 'Device Manager' to find that information.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Well, I tried....
by mrsmcgee / May 4, 2007 9:52 PM PDT

I tried to restore my system to an earlier date, but it only gave me the option of THAT particular day. It wouldn't let me go back to the previous month. Since it only happens when I open my AVG 7.5 antivirus program and/or my Ad-Aware SE Personal spyware program, what do you think about my uninstalling and reinstalling those particular programs? My computer expert (sort of, lol) friend seems to think I will have to wipe out my entire hard drive and start all over from scratch.

Collapse -
From What I Understand...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 5, 2007 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, I tried....

Neither AVG 7.5 Free (first versions) or Ad-Aware were supported on Vista. (AVG Internet Security and the newest AVG 7.5.467 Free indicates Vista support though.) Ad-Aware is not supported as far as I've seen on their website. That may be your problem. I would uninstall both programs and see how things go.

The free antivirus and antispyware support for Vista currently is somewhat limited.. I'm aware that AVAST antivirus is supported on Vista and the Windows Defender program is automatically installed on Vista and can be used as an antispyware program.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by mrsmcgee / May 5, 2007 11:50 PM PDT

I don't have Vista. I heard too many negative things about it, so I didn't install it. I just have plain ole Windows XP Home Edition. I tried running my anti-virus and adware programs in Safe Mode. They still froze up. I am going to do a major dump on my computer. I have Limewire and Kodak EasyShare on it, and they take up a HUGE amount of memory. I'm wondering if maybe I don't have enough memory to run the anti-virus and adware programs. Because when I try to run a defrag, it says I need at least 15% memory to run it, and I only have 11%.

Collapse -
Limewire !
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2007 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista?
Collapse -
Sorry, My Mistake ..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 6, 2007 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista?'s the other poster in this forum that has Vista... But as Bob suggested, get Limewire off the computer.. It causes problems for most that try to use it..

As to Kodak EasyShare program, I learned in a hurry about it.. My suggestion for that particular program is to ONLY install the "Camera Recognition/Connection" portion of the software.. Uninstall the entire Kodak Easy Share software suite from Add/Remove Programs.. Then reinstall it, but this time, perform a "Custom" installation and UNCHECK all the boxes and leave only the "Camera Connection Software" portion.. It leaves off all the fancy bells and whistles but allows you to plug the camera into your USB and open the camera as a separate drive from "My Computer".

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.