Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Internet connection problems

by kapr1111 / March 16, 2014 8:28 AM PDT

Hello, I've been having some internet problems for about a week now, and have been searching various forums for some possible solutions for my problem. I believe at this point though, I need to just go ahead and make my own thread, and hopefully this amazing community will help me solve this issue. Happy

Please note: I'm really not that good with tech, so please help me find the information you need, and offer step-by-step solutions if you can. Thanks

I have: Dell, windows vista, wireless adapter belkin.

So, my internet has been acting up. Sometimes the connection is as fast as ever BUT other times it starts slowing down or it stops completely. I have absolutely no idea what the issue is and it's getting increasingly annoying. Videos buffer, games crash, internet webpages never load, downloads freeze midway etc.

I had some theories, I thought it was my belkin wireless adapter n150 at first. But I bought a new adapter, and the problem still persists.

Next, I realized my Cdrive was almost full. It had 8 out of 61 GB left. So I proceeded to clear everything out. Ran disk cleanup, deleted hibernation mode, reduced shadow copy storage and restore points, and did a defrag. I now have about 20GB out of 61GB but the problem is STILL there!

There is also another desktop in the house (besides the main one). This other desktop uses a wireless adapter as well, and is between my desktop and the main desktop that we are connected to. That desktop is working absolutely fine so why isn't mine?! I've restarted my computer and the main one, but that only offers temporary relief. I checked the cables, wires but it all seemed ok.

I did a speed test ( and got around 15 ping, 20 download speed and 10-15 upload speed. Usually when my webpages are slow, it's during the phase when they're "trasnfering data"

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Internet connection problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Internet connection problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: wireless connection
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 8:39 AM PDT

I'd start to see if it is a location issue. Move this machine to a place near the wireless router. Any difference?
Then change the channel the router uses. Any difference?
Then (since it's near the router now) try a wired connection. Any difference?

8 GB free space is more than enough (although it won't let you defrag). But it can't be the cause of this issue, as you found out. And defragging, whatever good it might do, isn't expected to help either, as you found out.

One thing I don't understand: what cables did you check? All you tell is about a wireless connection.

Collapse -
Change channel.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 8:47 AM PDT

I Don't see if the N rouetr was relaced with another N router. If so changing channels is out.

Collapse -
Re: Wireless Connection
by kapr1111 / March 16, 2014 9:06 AM PDT

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'll try moving the computer closer, but I'd like to have that as a last resort (It's a gigantic mess with all the stuff I have plugged into it and we don't have very much room in the apartment.) The cables I checked were from the main computer, I was just checking to see if anything was loose out of desperation to find a solution.

@gwrach923 What does N router mean? Sorry with my lack of intelligence when it comes to computers Silly

Collapse -
re: wirelesss connection
by kapr1111 / March 16, 2014 9:09 AM PDT

I also noticed, when playing a game, it seems my ping sometimes fluctuates (if that's possible), and whenever I'm trying to connect to a server, pinging always takes the longest. (Much longer then usual)

My friend also said it might be a problem with RAM? But not sure what he meant

Collapse -
If it's distance...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 9:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Still not working
by kapr1111 / August 28, 2014 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: If it's distance...

Wow so it's been about 5 months and here's what happened since then:

I moved the dell box up higher and that actually fixed the problem

months later, the problem came back.
This time I moved it closer to the door and it worked for a few days and now it's back again!

I just don't understand what the problem could be! I haven't tried switching channels because I don't know how to so if anyone knows please explain, we have xfinity.

Collapse -
xfinity but which model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2014 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Still not working

Once we get the model, then we find the manual or if lucky, a youtube video.

PS. Why I see these fail later is that more and more folk get WiFi. Pollution or congestion?

Collapse -
by kapr1111 / August 29, 2014 10:06 AM PDT

It's about 20 feet from my computer. All the devices in between work fine. My kindle's internet works better even in the furthest corners of my house.

My adaptor is belkin n150 and we just bought a new xfinity wifi device and it still doesnt help. Sometimes my internet works, then it just drops all of a sudden. if I'm playing a game, if I try and use an attack or chat, then it lags and I have to wait about a minute for everything to catch up to present time.

Collapse -
So it's gaming lag?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2014 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: model

OK for that we get wired. Due to how WiFi works and is subject to interference you find gamers pretty upset when it's not working well.

But as a try we set the WiFi back down to 802.11g (speed isn't the issue, but reliability without the Esperanto collection of 802.11a,b,c,n, etc.) We cover that at;threadListing

And no, we don't really care if other things work. We need this thing to work better. So about the Belkin. Pages 17 to 19 at cover how to pull it back to 802.11g.

I'd forget AUTO channel for now since a glitch could put it out at channel 15 which is no good. I won't bore you with a discussion about US and other parts of the world channels so let's go with 4 to 6 for now.

Try that.

Collapse -
wireless extender
by kapr1111 / August 29, 2014 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: So it's gaming lag?

So I should get a wireless extender? Also it's not just my game, but when my game is lagging I quickly open up my browser and sure enough that stops working to. I use firefox and tried other browsers as well and whenever that connection drop occurs it just says 'waitig for...' until it finally gets fixed and my game and internet work again.

Collapse -
Only if you want a slower connection.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2014 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: wireless extender

Extenders drop the speed in half and may test a networker's knowledge of channels and more.

I can't tell if you tried changing any settings.

Collapse -
That's a fast wireless connection
by itsdigger / August 30, 2014 7:17 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.