Computer Hung,and then when restarted,the cpu clock lowered

by dani5g / July 30, 2013 3:29 PM PDT

Hi all,

need help please with my computer problem, here's the case;

My computer spec are:
- CPU Intel Core2Duo E6750 (2,66 GHz )
- Motherboard Asus P5K
- Memory 4x Team 1GB pc 6400
- GPU Nvidia 9800 GT ( Pixelview brand )
- HDD WDC 1TB Sata
- Power Supply FSP 400W
- Asus DVD-RW Sata

this computer is about 6 years old, running Windows XP SP-3, and it's

not overclocked.

In random time, while in idle time or gaming, the computer hang, no

mouse cursor movement, no BSOD.
Therefore, usually i restarted by restart button on the computer.
When restarted and enter the boot screen, the cpu clock stated lower

than it should ( 2,66 GHz ), about 1,4 GHz. and the BIOS said that the

setting in the BIOS was wrong.
So, i enter the BIOS and do "Load setup defaults", then i change again

to my previous settings, which was the boot logo and the boot sequence

only.
Then it run normally again. The hang of the computer happen 1x-3x at a

time, with the "Load setup defaults" done only once.

What is the problem with this computer? please help. thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Hung,and then when restarted,the cpu clock lowered
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Hung,and then when restarted,the cpu clock lowered
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Make, Model of system?

Home-built? Laptop or desktop?

Since the system is 6 years old, has routine maintenance been done every six months?

That is, has it been regularly cleaned of dust and, at this late stage, the cpu heatsink been renewed with fresh paste?

I'd also check for BAD CAPS. Google if you do not know what that is.

Collapse -
@mchainmchain
by dani5g / July 31, 2013 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Make, Model of system?

it's home built dekstop.
no routine maintenance within the hardware.
no new paste has been applied.
thank you, i'll try to check the dust.

Collapse -
Answer
Check for bios updates
by Willy / July 30, 2013 10:34 PM PDT

I would suggest you visit the Asus support website look for model# mtrbd. and review the bios updates available. If there is any gap, I suggest you update especially if more than 2 updates difference, like V1.4 to V1.6 or A05 to A08, etc, however they post it. Of course, that''s up to you to update but at LEAST CHECK IT.

Next, your PC is probably trying to save itself. Your rebooting is only showing the level it reduced to or the result of having saved itself, plus the freezing maybe a direct reflection of the lower speed and thus just takes longer to process. That in turn could be any problem, but at 6yrs. old it could be the result of wear&tear. Along this thinking, WAG the cpu is breaking down or what the mtrbd. supports in these matters. The 1.4 speed is what the cpu would drop to if divided in 1/2 of 2.66, is 1.33, it maybe reporting that as 1.4. Rebooting recovers or allowing the bios to re-establish the true norm. In other words its a failure of the mtrbd. or cpu, IMHO. Which is why I posted about bios updates. That may refresh the status and may correct what could have been a known problem, again, in IMHO.

I think the real fix its time to think of a newer PC or replacement.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
@Willy
by dani5g / July 31, 2013 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Check for bios updates

for now i will try to clean the dust within the computer, if that doesn't work, i'll try your suggestion of bios update.
yeah, buying new one will definitely kill this problem. but for now, i still hooked to this computer Happy thanks.

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Have you replaced the CMOS battery?
by glb613 / July 30, 2013 11:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
@glb613
by dani5g / July 31, 2013 4:26 AM PDT

yes, i've replaced the cmos battery around november 2012.

Collapse -
Answer
Computer issue(s)
by pgc3 / July 30, 2013 11:47 PM PDT

The hang ups could be hardware related but sound more like a software issue at this point, just from your description. The time lag, as a prior poster mentioned, CMOS battery needs to be replaced. You didn't mention what you use for security software or how you are hooked up to the internet, wireless, hardwire, etc. Again, it could be hardware and/or just in need of having the dust blown out with a can of air. Heat build up can create hang ups so make sure the fans, especially CPU fan(s) are running normally.

Collapse -
@pgc3
by dani5g / July 31, 2013 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer issue(s)

CMOS battery has been replaced around november 2012.
for security i use ZoneAlarm, AVG, and DeepFreeze.
hooked up to the internet with 3G modem with sim card. the hang happen while not connected to the internet.
i'll try to clean the dust first. thanks.

Collapse -
Possible conflict(s)
by pgc3 / August 2, 2013 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: @pgc3

If you are running more than one A/V software...there very well could be issues with conflicts between the software(s). It is generally a given that you should use 1 A/V software and 1 active firewall. From what you stated I see 3 potential A/V software installs, 2 too many.

Collapse -
Answer
Dig in and do the work
by itsdigger / August 2, 2013 1:27 AM PDT

As mchainmchain stated. If you have never cleaned it up with canned air and cleaned off the old and applied new thermal paste than you're way over due. Until you do that you'll never be able to eliminate it from the equation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.