Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer hangs frequently

by shakyparikh / September 25, 2005 1:13 AM PDT

Hi guys,
recently my computer is getting hanged a just freezes and u cant do anything after that(u cant even use ctr+alt+dlt and the moise pointer also stops moving) and i have to restart the computer,but if i restart it immidiately it agains freezes at the startup,so i have to shutdown & wait for sometime before restarting.most weird thing about this problem is that i am able to surf on the net,chat on msn messenger and few more applications without it getting hanged but if i start some other application like a game or winamp,after few mins. of playing or after couple of songs it suddenly hangs again.its happening with other applications as well.i have tried using system restore and even last known good configuration but they didnt coputer has a history of getting fan problems,where one of the fans in the cpu used to stop working and due to overheating, the computer used hang like this and so i had to get my fan replaced twice but this time its little different as it never gets hanged when i am on the you think its my fan again??how do i check??i have norton anti virus and i dont think its a virus.pls help me.
thank you and sorry for the big mail.
ABhishek Parikh

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer hangs frequently
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer hangs frequently
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check Here.
by Stan Chambers / September 25, 2005 4:01 AM PDT

You didn't give any information about your computer that would help to determine the cause of the problem.
Without some details it's difficult to give advice.
My only recommendation is to open the case and visually check the motherboard capacitors for damage. Damaged, bulging, leaking capacitors will cause the symptoms that you describe.
Here are some photos for reference.

Collapse -
$ time.
by Cursorcowboy / September 25, 2005 10:30 PM PDT

Good scenario, and reading between the lines it appears perhaps that the OS is WinXP and whether my suggestion below would identify anything is anybody's guess. Further still, whether the person using this technique would fully understands its output and could put that to good use is questionable. This kind of troubleshooting is usually over the head of most and that is where the $ comes in.

Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph in RED, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be very helpful:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Note also: You have the option of using the hyperlink ''Edit My Profile'' on the right side of the main page to fill in applicable system information so that it is available.

The article [Q286350] discusses Autodump+ (ADPlus.vbs) a new tool from Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) that can troubleshoot any process or application that stops responding (hangs) or fails (crashes) and is a console-based Microsoft Visual Basic script. AD+ has three modes of operation:

? Hang Mode is used to troubleshoot process hangs, 100 percent CPU utilization, and other problems that do not involve a crash. When you use AD+ in hang mode, you must wait until the process or processes hang before you run the script (that is, it is not perisistent like crash mode).

? Crash Mode is used to troubleshoot crashes that result in Dr. Watson errors, or any other type of error that causes a program or service to terminate unexpectedly. When you use AD+ in crash mode, you must start AD+ before the crash occurs. AD+ can be configured to notify an administrator or a computer of a crash through the '-notify' switch.

? Quick Mode is a light-weight version of hang mode that produces mini memory dumps of the specified processes and a debug log file with extended debugging information. For processes that consume large amounts of virtual memory, quick mode can be significantly faster than regular hang mode.

a. You should use AD+ to capture debugging information if you are experiencing the following problems:

? Processes that hang.

? Processes that consume 100 percent CPU on a single processor computer, 50 percent CPU on a dual processor computer, 25 percent CPU on a quad processor computer, and so on.

? Processes that crash or shut down unexpectedly.

b. You should not use AD+ in the following situations:

? If you need to troubleshoot a program or process that terminates unexpectedly upon startup. You can only use AD+ with processes that start successfully. If you need to troubleshoot processes that terminate unexpectedly upon startup, ''User Mode Process Dump'' may be a better solution.

? Alternatively, you can use the latest ''debuggers'' to manually debug the process.

? If there is a noticeable performance impact when you use AD+ in crash mode. This is usually caused by dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) or programs that throw a large number of Microsoft Visual C++ EH exceptions (which occur when you use the C++ throw statement or when you use try/catch blocks). Programs that write a large amount of information to the debug output stream can also cause a performance degradation. In the vast majority of cases, AD+ does not impact performance noticeably when it is running in crash mode.

Collapse -
Inspect closely....
by Willy / September 25, 2005 11:21 PM PDT

You truly need to open your case and inspct the insides. Clean it out and check operation of fans. Sincew, you had failed fans, more than once, the cpu during such less than ideal can have hindering effects if not total failure. In other words, the cpu and/or its mounting socket or area can be over-wrought and become grazed or browned, not good, if not present the cpu should if Intel P4, actually start to slow down or reboot, but touchy effects are freezes. Let's not exclude any s/w sources due to the OS, malware or intense s/w itself. Plus, what the other posters mentioned, please check the mtrbd. for bad caps.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
computer hangs frequently
by Rohit_Jalan / September 19, 2012 6:55 PM PDT

The problem is "OVERHEATING"................
When you start your pc open it`s cover and do whatever that you have to do in your pc
Get the CPU away from any wall
this will surely help you

Collapse -
computer hangs frequently - sell your computer
by kehar_bimlesh / September 20, 2012 6:51 PM PDT

Sell your computer and buy new one or either change the configuration of your computer. All the problems start from the mother board.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.