General discussion

Computer going to crash? Active desktop warning

by Jenn22 / July 15, 2004 8:53 AM PDT

I have A Dell pc with XP.
In the last few minutes, I have
been getting a full screen message that
"my active desktop has had to close".
Then, I have to click on a button to restore
my active desktop. It suggested why this may have occured, but none of the reasons applied to me. The reasons it gave were involving if I had recently
changed my desktop background or installed a new program shortcut onto desktop.
Also, I have been getting numerous error
messages that Windows has encountered a problem and must close. I'm afraid it's going to crash, and it's giving me the willies!!!
A message about dll files popped up, but it disappeared
as quickly as it appeared, so I'm not sure what it said. Sad
I have run AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, CWS, HJT.
My system is clean. I'm not sure what other info. to provide. Anybody know what I should do? Jenn22

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer going to crash? Active desktop warning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer going to crash? Active desktop warning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Computer going to crash? Active desktop warning
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 15, 2004 9:44 AM PDT

Jenn,

This is how I would approach the problem. Assuming you've run all the appropriate spyware and virus detecting programs you have mentioned, I would still run an online scan using either or both of the free scanners at the links below:

Housecall Online Scanner

Panda Online Scanner

After that, if eveything came up clean, I would start cleaning out the junk and shutting down unnecessary "Start Up" programs using the instructions in the links below. Make sure to start by uninstalling all of the programs that you don't need from the "Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs" section. In addition, make sure that your audio and video drivers are current as some "incorrect" drivers can cause conflicts with other programs:

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

On XP after cleaning things up with the instructions above, make sure to run the "Error Checking/Chkdsk" and Defrag programs to optimize the hard drive. (Access them both by opening "My Computer", RIGHT click on the C Drive, choose "Properties", then click on the "Tools" tab. When running the "Error Checking" section, place a CHECK mark in both boxes, click on Start" and the computer will ask to be restarted. Do it and Error Checking will run a check on the disk and hopefully fix any problems that might be there.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Computer going to crash? Active desktop warning
by Jenn22 / July 15, 2004 11:26 AM PDT

Hi, Thank you for the information.
I ran the Housecall scan--clean results.
(I had already run the Panda scan earlier--also clean.)
I ran the chkdsk feature. All that I noticed it said
was that the volume was clean.
I defragmented yesterday, so it says I don't need to
defrag. drive C.
As soon as I had finished with chkdsk and rebooted,
I got the Active Desktop Recovery warning page again.
It just said an unexpected error occured. I have never
seen this warning until today.
I also got the "Windows Explorer has experienced an
error and must close" warning about 4 more times.
Also, when I click on Start/Search, the Search Result
page freezes.
I downloaded, Spysweeper 3.0 also...no spyware.
I've searched on Google for possible solutions, but have yet to find anything to help. So, any help you can offer in this matter will be appreciated.

Collapse -
Jenn, Did You??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 15, 2004 11:41 AM PDT

It would also help if we knew the EXACT Active Desktop error that you are receiving. Is it this one?

Internet Explorer - Active Desktop error

As a result, have you tried the steps mentioned or maybe "Repairing" Internet Explorer?

Have you tried?

1. Install the newest audio and video drivers per previous instructions?

2. Uninstall unnecessary programs?

3. Shut down unnecessary start up programs?

4. Clean out junk files from the machine, THEN run Error Checking and Defrag?

And if none of the above works, have you tried?

1. Using System Restore to revert back to a time when the world was good?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Jenn, Did You??
by Jenn22 / July 15, 2004 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Jenn, Did You??

Yes, that is the Active Desktop error message.

The only thing I can think that may apply (according to the solutions on the Active Desktop error message) is that earlier, I noticed the icon "My Briefcase" on my desktop. It was on desktop and in my "Send To" folder.
I don't know how I put it there; I didn't mean to.
Upon trying to get it off of desktop, I did something wrong, so that now it is not an option in my right click Send To list. (I'd like to put it back without having to keep it as a desktop item.)

1. Install the newest audio and video drivers per previous instructions? I haven't done this. Is this
a necessary thing?...I know nothing about it:-(

2. Uninstall unnecessary programs? yes

3. Shut down unnecessary start up programs? yes; I only keep AVG on start-up

4. Clean out junk files from the machine, THEN run Error Checking and Defrag? Yes, but as I said earlier, I did not defrag today, it was either yesterday or day before.

And if none of the above works, have you tried?

1. Using System Restore to revert back to a time when the world was good? My System Restore was turned off
because I had deleted a virus about a week ago and hadn't turned it back on. (It's on now, though--too late.)
I haven't repaired IE because I'm not convinced that
it's an IE problem. Is there a way to be sure?
Thank you again for helping with this headache...

Collapse -
Re: Jenn, Did You??
by matted / September 20, 2004 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Jenn, Did You??

I believe that the Active Desktop is a component of Internet Explorer, meaning that repairing IE may help fix your problem. Windows Explorer, I also believe, is much like IE (I am told they are the same program, with different 'modes' - web browsing and file browsing). Repairing IE in this case may help fix both problems.

Reinstalling Windows would also likely fix both problems (but is a rather 'big' step up from simple troubleshooting).

Collapse -
Jenn, Something Else To Try....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 16, 2004 4:49 AM PDT

I just fixed a problem computer in our office which had the same "Active Desktop" error. First, if you don't have a reason to have it enabled, you can turn it off. Most users don't have a webpage displayed on their desktop, so it's easy to do. RIGHT click on a blank area of the desktop, choose "Properties". When that loads, click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop" button, then click on the "Web" tab. UNCHECK any websites listed.

In addition, the problem computer I dealt with today was fixed by choosing "NONE" as the desktop background. The background picture they were using was a large picture and used up to many resources to keep it running.

The newest video drivers can indeed help this problem and you should install them for your computer if the above suggestions doesn't fix the issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: changed bckgrnd pic.
by Jenn22 / July 16, 2004 10:40 PM PDT

" The background picture they were using was a large picture and used up to many resources to keep it running."
This was apparently my issue also. (A pic. I had downloaded.) Seems fixed, now.
Thanks for help.

Collapse -
Re: changed bckgrnd pic.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 17, 2004 6:57 AM PDT

Jenn,

Good job and glad we could help.

Grif

Collapse -
slightly different problem...same area
by lipinm / January 12, 2005 4:03 AM PST

I have a problem I can't get rid of...I have Ad-aware and other spyware type programs.

I am using W2K with all spacks. I have files I can't get rid of, when I do (using killdll.exe) they keep coming back...iazoen.dll, vkyiwg.exe (each under System32 subdirectory) and a !submit directory appears on root of C...with iazoen.dll file in it.

When I finally delete all versions, my active desktop gives me similar problem already listed.

Solution?

Collapse -
Use The HijackThis Program
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 12, 2005 7:18 AM PST

Because it sounds like a trojan is causing the problem, you can start by using the free for 30 days trojan cleaner at the link below. After installing the program, try running it in "Safe Mode".:

The Cleaner
http://www.moosoft.com/products/cleaner/download/

After that, if it's not gone, then download the HijackThis program, run it, create a log file using the program, then post the log at one of the special HijackThis forums. The experts there should be able to help. Please follow the instructions for downloading, using the program as well as posting the log....from the link below:

How to use HijackThis and where to post the log.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Did u try calling dell
by sgt trigger / January 13, 2005 1:32 PM PST

you could call dell tech support. they can usually fix most problems your having. you could reformat the system, some files may be miss placed or lost and that could cause the computer problems. or you could try to defrag the computer allowing it to reorginize and maybe find some of those files. i reccommend calling dell first though above all.

trigger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.