Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer Goes to Standby automatically Please Help

by jarhead634 / August 4, 2004 5:44 AM PDT

The problem is that whenever i start up my computer it will go fine however it will soon standby for no apparent reason. It isn't that I'm not using it and the screen saver makes it standby, it's just that no matter what i do it continues with the standby.

The computer is an HP Pavilion 7965 with no real changes from stock. Windows XP Home edition is fully updated

I would very much appreciate any help with this

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Goes to Standby automatically Please Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Goes to Standby automatically Please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Computer Goes to Standby automatically Please Help
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2004 5:50 AM PDT

If it is standby, a tap of the spacebar or a mouseclick will wake it up. Some call a crash or heat shutdown "standby". So let's get clarity that standby isn't a big issue. If it doesn't come out of stangby, then maybe it overheated and SHUTDOWN?

To disable standby, use the Control Panel, Power and set all the option to Never.

Bob

Collapse -
by jarhead634 / August 4, 2004 4:26 PM PDT

I already have all the power options set to never.

I dont know if what it is doing is standby but it says that windows is preparing to standby and then standsby where the only thing that "wakes" it up is the power button, when that is pressed it will come back to the same desktop screen it was on before it went into standby, but will soon do it again

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / August 4, 2004 7:38 PM PDT

What you described sounds like "hibernation" instead of "standby".(clue: power switch) Care to share the full and complete message when your computer goes into what you called "standby" ?

Collapse -
by jarhead634 / August 5, 2004 1:19 AM PDT

All that it shows is the usual "Windows is preparing to stand by" screen. There are no error messages or any other messages before it decides to do this

Collapse -
It was the Keyboard?
by jarhead634 / August 7, 2004 2:27 AM PDT

Thanks for all your advice, everybody. But the problem actually ended up being that my keyboard was broken and was transmitting the standby signal all the time. I plugged it into a different computer and it began to do exactly what mine was doing.

Collapse -
Beauty!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2004 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: It was the Keyboard?

Yes. Keyboards do fail. With millions of phones, a few dial 911 too.

Bob

Collapse -
computquest
by computquest / March 17, 2006 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: It was the Keyboard?

I have had the same problem! Now it is starting to make sense. Good thing the search feature here worked well.

I had another computer which did it and I thought it was the operating system getting corrupted because system file checker, AKA Scandisc, seemed to fix the problem.

When it happened on my HP system using the old keyboard, I thought the same thing as before but Scandisc did not seem to be helping any longer.

Until I change the keyboard, I have temporarily turned off the capability of the power key in the power control section of the control panel.

Hmm, I wonder why my mouse can not always select text by left clicking and dragging the cursor across the desired text, though.

XP, Service Packs 1 & 2

Collapse -
lssasser!
by computquest / March 17, 2006 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: computquest

Wow! I just happened to see lsasser.exe in the running processes list! Well, it seems the keyboard is not it!

Please advise. Thabks.

Collapse -
maybe not
by computquest / March 17, 2006 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: lssasser!

Now I see that Windows XP has a driver named lsass.exe; Maybe there is still hope.:) I was wondering how it could get through continual antivirus protection and a firewall.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / August 4, 2004 10:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Derek / August 5, 2004 11:26 AM PDT

i think it is spy ware but i could be wrong but just try to download a program called ad-aware and spybot search and destry and use both and that should get rid of spy ware but if that does not fix your comp from not going into standby you should do a system restore and that will definatly fix it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.