Computer Help

Question

Computer gets really slow after a while

by velosofy / January 18, 2013 4:16 AM PST

Hello,
I'm having some troubles with my computer.
I have a fairly new computer.
I can start it up fast like normal but after a while(like 10 mins) it gets really slow to open programs. When the program is opened it runs like normal but opening something as small as notepad takes 5 minutes.

I hope someone can help me with this, i tried loads of things i found on the internet but none of them worked.

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer gets really slow after a while
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer gets really slow after a while
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So it's defective.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 5:50 AM PST

Time to take it back and get it fixed or go for the full refund. A new machine is like a new car. You don't repair it. They do.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
solution for Computer that gets really slow after a while
by Alicecarterit / January 18, 2013 7:39 PM PST

Hello,

Computer getting slow is a common issue so i found a youtube tutorial which gives tutorial on how to speed up the computer and also about maintenance.

Collapse -
link of the youtube channel which gives tips is
by Alicecarterit / January 18, 2013 7:41 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Cut down on the background progams
by griplock / January 19, 2013 8:05 AM PST

Most new PCs have a lot of crapware promotional software running on them. You should just go into your startup configuration and remove all the programs that are non essential to the start up process. You can add them back to see which one is hogging your resources.

Collapse -
did
by velosofy / January 19, 2013 8:09 PM PST

i did that already but it works fine for the first 10 minutes, but after it gets slow.

Collapse -
Check the processes in the task manager
by griplock / January 20, 2013 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: did

Can you pinpoint the process or program that is eating up your resources after the ten minute slowdown period. You can just go into the task manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and check out the processes that are using the most memory. Just click the process tab and look at the 4th column. Then you can figure out what is going on.

Collapse -
Task manager Processes
by velosofy / January 20, 2013 4:28 AM PST

i took a screenshot http://gyazo.com/f270846f88fd430ba58794fbf7c31917

i don't think its anything in there.
When i open notepad i can see it in the processes getting slowly more memory.
but this shouldnt be any problem, i got 16gb ram.

This all started when i got an error a couple of weeks ago when i rebooted my comp. It was an error about HPTouchSmartSyncCalReminderApp.exe
i then deleted some of those HP programs and now i don't get the error anymore.

Collapse -
CHROME!!!
by griplock / January 21, 2013 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: Task manager Processes

That is a ridiculous amount of memory that chrome is eating up. You need to find out why. Press Shift+ESC to see which Chrome apps are eating up your memory. Chrome loads gmail which is easily 100MB. You should try another browser to see if it doesn't solve your problem.

Collapse -
update
by griplock / January 21, 2013 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: CHROME!!!

100K not 100MB

Collapse -
Chrome
by velosofy / January 21, 2013 4:41 AM PST

I don't think that's it because it still laggs when chrome isnt open. And on my other comp chrome is running with 200+kb and it doesn't give any problems

Collapse -
Still not working
by velosofy / January 25, 2013 10:36 PM PST

I used firefox for a couple of days, and i didn't have any problems in 2 days, but now its lagging again and im using firefox so its not chrome :/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.