Computer Help forum

Computer freezing and blinking

by AMAZINFAN69 / August 20, 2013 11:38 AM PDT

Ok so I am pretty new here and also not very good on the computer. Here is my problem, my computer blinks and when it comes back on the screen size changes. Also it freezes up and sometimes I get the blue screen of death. Not sure if this is an easy fix or need to take it to someone. It is an emachine ET1331g-07w, thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freezing and blinking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freezing and blinking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by Willy / August 20, 2013 12:30 PM PDT

Any prior misbehaving or it just happened? Anything recently done?

FYI- Since you didn't provide any further clue or what else is part of your PC, I have to guess. If this happened just after some Win7 updates, you may have a glitchy PC. The MS-update /KB2859537 x64 maybe at fault. You need to boot into "safe mode" and using the OS restore feature pick a date prior(restore point) to the problem appearing.

The other cause maybe h/w related, so it takes more info to narrow this down. Do the usual. open PC case and clean the dust bunnies out and see if that helps. Check the innards for damaged devices, etc. or obvious damage as it were. As for the BSOD, any error displayed? If yes, google that error for a clue.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by AMAZINFAN69 / August 20, 2013 8:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Checkout

Willy, thanks for the reply sorry for the lack of info I am kinda new at this. This has been going on awhile it first started with the screen blinking and the page changing size, then it grew into the computer freezing and then the BSOD once in awhile. I have not installed anything new, my internet provider also has a help service with internet security where they take over the computer and do clean up's. It seams like every time they do this it helps but it always comes back, this is why I am not sure if it is a computer problem or a virus problem. Here is some more info:

Windows 7 home
AMD Athlon II X2 250u Dual-core processor
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Integrated
DVD-Super Multi drive
640 GB HDD
4 GB DDR2 mem

Collapse -
Basic corrections or areas to look at
by Willy / August 21, 2013 2:05 AM PDT

You should run some AV scan to at least resolve that aas possible cause. There are freebies out there or use yours that's been updated. Once done you can check the results, act upon any negatives, etc.. If you hadn't done that then do so.

Next, you should also crack open your PC to check for dust. If yours has never been opened and taken for granted, it's now time to clean out the dust bunnies. Typical operation no matter how clean a home will result in some dust. Further, you have build-in video which also sucks ram resources for its own use, this double tasking maybe using some ram that's gets trounced too often. So, cleaning to help reduce "heat stress" will greatly improve that side of things if the cause. Overall clean PC helps as that too reduce heat build-up with-in the PC, so check that out. If this has been too long with the problem known you may have sealed the fate of the video as it gotten glitch as a result. So, think a simple replacement video card could be in the future, I suggest a ATI-5450 based one and cost is reasonable should the need arise to replace. You can even leave the side cover off to see if that helps and generally if it does the heat issue is present.

Check and do the above, for now. If you haven't yet, get your hands on CCleaner pgm. a great freebie that may resolve some file and/or registry. Don't go crazy using it, but it may sort out and/or remove unwanted issues. I have found it a great help for systems that have never been corrected in this. just use the defaults, don't reset anything, use it as is for now. Google for the pgm. and get from a trusted source.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by AMAZINFAN69 / August 22, 2013 8:15 PM PDT

Thanks to everyone for the help, as of now I have opened the computer and cleaned it out. It seems to be running a ton better. I have ccleaner and cleanup both on here and use them a lot. Every now and then I do get a blink but no change in the screen. So far so good not sure if it is fixed but it is for sure a ton better. Again thanks for the help and any other suggestions would be great.

Collapse -
Blinking etc.
by pgc3 / August 21, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

Assuming your monitor cable is correctly attached, hopefully no bent pins, I'd suspect an issue with your integrated video/chipset. IF you have access to a compatible after market video slot card, that is the first thing that I would try. If you don't have the availability to do that test/check, you may want to take it to a competent techie and get it checked out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.