Computer Help

Resolved Question

Computer Freezing 5 Minutes After Startup

by Phil424 / February 4, 2013 10:54 AM PST

Hello everyone. Im seeking help on fixing this problem with my computer. I have a Gateway GT5408 with Windows Vista. On each startup of the computer, I hear the hardrive stop making noise, and the computer just freezes. Im unable to do any kind of trouble shooting because of the short time that i have before the computer freezes. I was able to disable all start up programs to try and see if thats whats causing the problem but had no luck. Can anyone direct me on how to overcome this problem? Any help is much appreciated.

Phil424 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Freezing 5 Minutes After Startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Freezing 5 Minutes After Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Phil424

Collapse -
More details
by Willy / February 5, 2013 6:07 AM PST

I have your model Gateway, was there any clue before this happened? Had there been any recent s/w upgrades/updates? Anything newly done?

Just open case and check innards. Leave case open any better operation? Have you tried a repair mode option from boot-up, repair not OS reload.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Problem still there
by Phil424 / February 5, 2013 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: More details

I have cleaned out the case and still have the problem. I highly doubt that this is heat related. Im able to get into safe mode, but the computer freezes in safe mode as well. Im not the primary user and when this problem first happened i was not using the computer. I talked to the person who was and they said it just froze and they could not do anything. I have gave up and i ordered Windows 7 so I'm just going to take this opportunity and upgrade the computer and expand the RAM. The newest program that i installed before this happened was Adaware and I did a scan and it deleted a lot of stuff. The only thing that I'm able to do without the computer freezing is run a RAM check, which came up good. Anything else freezes. Now the problem has gotten worse and I cant even get windows to load anymore.

Collapse -
At 6 years old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: Problem still there

This machine needs the usual checks. We pull the heat sinks to clean and replace the heat sink compound. There are a lot of folk that believe it's not heat so we can prove that by a fresh install of the OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Some things you can check.
by wpgwpg / February 5, 2013 9:26 AM PST

It could be a failing hard drive. It could be a virus or other malware. It could be failing capacitors on the motherboard. You can check the temps by downloading SpeedFan. Temps under 50 degrees C are good, over 65 a problem, in between bears watching. To check your hard drive, run chkdsk and let it check for bad sectors. To check for malware, boot to Safe Mode and do a full system scan. To check capacitors, remove the cover and look for swollen and/or leaky ones. To check for corrupt system files, go to the command prompt and issue the command: sfc /scannow .
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
`

Good luck.

Collapse -
This is scary!
by itsdigger / February 5, 2013 10:25 AM PST

You said "The newest program that i installed before this happened was Adaware and I did a scan and it deleted a lot of stuff"...Well how was the computer running before you decided to use this "Miracle Cure" called Adaware and why did you use it ? Can you do a system restore to a point before Adaware?

Collapse -
Last gasp...
by Willy / February 5, 2013 10:26 AM PST

I run Win7x64 on mine. It does get tiresome at times to wait the boot-up because i use legacy EIDE besides SATA. That is the only issue I face with having this model. But, it allows me to check various older items when they need testing, but that's me.

As already mentioned if the HD is the original it maybe showing it age. Also, remove all USB devices other than kybd. and mouse. One test often mentioned is booting using a live version of Ubuntu or any Linux live version. That way it boots from CD and allows you check things out. I also use Hirens or UBCD help/repair discs which besides booting on their own provide some s/w to check things out. This allows you to boot w/o windoze and if runs OK for a long time and passes various tests. then that suggest you have some windoze OS issue. As for Adware, that's a dated s/w and really isn't that useful as it once was, can it. If you plan to add ram, 4gb is tops for this PC. I also suggest you verify the bios level, as you won't be able to under Win7 to update it, it won't accept it, thus under Vista. Just a thought to pass on. BTW, I tied 32 and 64-bit Win7, they both did OK, I remain with 64bit for now. Also, I have replaced the CPU a few notches better.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
??
by Phil424 / February 5, 2013 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: Last gasp...

I don't understand exactly what your saying. I can no longer even get windows to start up. And as far as Windows 7 goes, your saying that I wont be able to run it? I cant do anything with the bios because I cant access the internet or do any kind of checks, the computer no longer bypasses the vista loading screen. Im using my iPad to access the internet for now. Im aware of the 4GB limit I ordered 2 2GB sticks of ram DDR2 667, which is the fastest the board can run. In response to someone else about why I installed adaware, I just wanted to do some preventive maintenance because I had not run such a scan in a very long time so I had to actually reinstall the program. As far as this being a hard drive issue, i don't think so, but we'll find out tomorrow when i receive my newegg order. I think its a virus or adaware messed up and deleted a system file. I'll be back to post the outcome, thank you all.

Collapse -
solved
by Phil424 / February 6, 2013 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: ??

I tryed installing windows 7 and i keep getting failures during install of corrupted files. Its safe to say the hard drive has failed. Will be ordering a new HD. Thank you everyone for the support.

Collapse -
Git'r done
by Willy / February 7, 2013 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: solved

Glad you zero-in on your problem. If this is the original HD(250gb), then maybe it gave its best yrs. Just so you know, I loaded my X64 version with little hassle. I even have the X32 version as "old windows" and can access some files there just in case. Whatever version you get, having 4Gb of ram will make this all the better, IMHO.

I hope everything goes well with new HD, if NOT make another post separate from this one if the need arises. good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
So why not do the usual?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 12:32 PM PST

Open it up, get out the canned and and clean it. Point a fan at it and see if it gets better.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Safe mode
by pgc3 / February 5, 2013 4:26 AM PST

Can you boot to Safe Mode, if so does it still freeze??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.