Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Freezes when shutting down. help !?

by glee0922 / January 12, 2012 4:34 PM PST

This has never happened to me before, but this started to happen a lot more often.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Freezes when shutting down. help !?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Freezes when shutting down. help !?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Difficult to diagnose
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 12, 2012 8:42 PM PST

I assume this is Windows because you mentioned Windows Update, but which Windows and what make and model computer?

It's difficult to diagnose this problem because all programs have to be closed, but there is always something running in the background and the shutdown procedure should end those. But determining which one is failing is tricky.

Try this. Next time it happens make a note of the time before hitting Shutdown. Then the next time you reboot, head over to the Event Viewer and look under both the Application log and the System log to see what is taking time to shut down. You use the date/time column to work out where the block is.

Collapse -
More Information
by glee0922 / January 13, 2012 5:07 PM PST
In reply to: Difficult to diagnose

My computer is custom build. I built it recently.

Collapse -
by glee0922 / January 14, 2012 7:49 AM PST

any help? please let me know

Collapse -
What did you find
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 14, 2012 6:56 PM PST
In reply to: bump

in the Event Viewer?

Remember, you are looking for entries for the 'time' that the computer freezes, so that date/time column is where you need to concentrate on.

Collapse -
by Steven Haninger / January 14, 2012 8:18 PM PST

I've had this plenty of times with XP but not Windows 7. Windows goes through some sort of arcane step by step procedure and, if one process or service is stubborn, it can hang. Sometimes I've been able to use task manager to manually terminate processes to where the PC will finally respond to a shutdown command. It can be tedious finding the culprit as the process names aren't always helpful. You might even find some rogue application to be causing this. I'd review the running processes and services and try shutting down what Windows will allow to see if you can get past whatever is causing the trouble.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.