Computer Newbies forum

Question

Computer freezes up consistantly at specific websites.

by Johnny_Devo / May 3, 2013 10:19 AM PDT

Problem:

At some specific websites, my computer will freeze up completely for a good 4-5 minutes before allowing me to continue navigating the page. This happens at those specific pages consistently, the first time I visit them each time my computer is turned on.

Websites that I know do this, off the top of my head:
http://community.eveonline.com/support/petitions/
http://eve-central.com/

There are other websites where I know this has happened, but I can't remember them. Another note is that it seems to happen at only the first example of those websites that I visit each time I turn on the computer, the next ones run fine as far as I could tell.

Relevant info:
Operating system: Vista 32
Browser: Firefox

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freezes up consistantly at specific websites.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freezes up consistantly at specific websites.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I just tried both your links with Firefox 20.0.1
by wpgwpg / May 3, 2013 10:26 AM PDT

When I tried those two links with Firefox 20.0.1, I didn't see any delays. You might want to try Chrome which you can download from http://www.google.com/chrome . Two other things you could do would be (1) clear your browser cache in Firefox and (2) boot to Safe Mode and check for viruses.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Oops
by Johnny_Devo / May 3, 2013 6:36 PM PDT

Ah... Did I say firefox? I did not mean to say that. I meant chrome. it's what i've been using the whole time.

Collapse -
I get very good speed w/Chrome and Firefox
by wpgwpg / May 4, 2013 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops

I just tried it with Chrome, and the results are the same as with Firefox; I get there with almost no delay. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 w/8 GB RAM and have WiFi to a cable connection FWIW.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Bill & Melinda Need Money
by Buzz-N-Bones / July 3, 2015 1:13 PM PDT

Mine does the same thing, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that my Uncles name is
Bill and his daughter my cousin's name is Melinda.

Collapse -
Answer
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2013 2:38 AM PDT

Well, there's Vista and we did see those 1GB RAM Vista machines that would do exactly what you noted if not immediately but later as folk install things.

As presented, it sounds like the usual and expected performance.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Specific Websites...

Hi there, hopefully I can offer some helpful information to at least track down what might be going on. Since you are using Chrome the first thing I would do is to clear the Cache. You can get to this area by pressing the Control+Shift+Delete keys. This will open the browsing history tools area where you can clear your cache cookies and browsing history.

Once you have cleared your history then try your link again and see if the problem persists. If it is the same result then attempt going to the same link using Internet Explorer or Firefox and see if you have the same type of issue. If it works in the other browsers correctly but not in Chrome then it is possible that you have some type of extension or plugin installed that is causing conflicts or some type or that your installation of Chrome has become corrupt (A common problem).

Know what type of antivirus software you have installed would also help. Some of these programs can possibly be causing slow down in a number of different ways. If you have internet issues between you and the websites you are attempting to access this can cause slow down for everything to be accessed and if anti phishing or website checking software or tools are installed the time it takes to access that online information to get the okay to allow the particular website and the time it takes to access that website can be at issue. Eve Online is in the U.K. so if you are in the U.S. or other places it has to have a clear point of access from your point of origin to their point of reception and vise versa. You can open your command prompt and type "tracert website_url" and it will go along the hops showing if there are dead hops between you and that web url and show the speed the packets are able to get to them.

Sorry for all of the information but these are some common ideas. Other possibilities exist as well like a proxy server being set in your internet options, adware, virus, or malware infestation etc...

Hope this helps...

Collapse -
Answer
Flash?
by kydna / May 11, 2013 10:18 PM PDT

I had the same problems on specific web sites a while ago. Come to find out that a flash player update screwed around with my browsers (I.E., Firefox, Chrome). Uninstalled it and then downloaded and reinstalled an older version. Kept that for a while until a newer version came along. Uninstalled the old version, installed the newest: problem solved for me. You may try that also if nothing else seems to help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.