Computer freezes randomly

by ioplaton / December 22, 2012 9:55 PM PST

Don`t know exactly all my specs, but I have sth like:
windows xp professional sp3
asus p5qc motherboard
intel core2 quad cpu Q8300 2.5 ghz
3.2 gb ram
nvidia gforce 9800 gt
and since I assembled it I started having these problems.
ctrl+alt+del doesn`t work and I have to restart it every time, tried changing the hard disk but seems that wasn`t the problem.
also I noticed that while in some days it doesn`t freeze at all, usually when it happens the problem occurs several times(2-3) in a short period. Also, it freezes if for example I run a fullscreen hd movie or play a game or even after starting the computer from standby.
I thought maybe it`s the graphics card,but could sure use some suggestions.....

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freezes randomly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freezes randomly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I spy a 9800.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 1:57 AM PST

Many have aged and a cause of the issue. The 3.2GB ram is very very odd. Not one machine in thousands over the years had that possibility of RAM so I guess that's what a 32 BIT Windows reports.

It is XP so we know that installing the OS is not straighforward.

We also know that the power supply is very important along with heat sink compound, fans and more.

There is some 100 reasons for this machine to lock up given the short story you gave. I see no reason to offer any any reason over the others except to ask you re-check your power supply choice.

Collapse -
by ioplaton / December 23, 2012 7:32 PM PST
In reply to: I spy a 9800.

Thx a lot Bob, well about the power supply....I`ve got a thermaltake 450W tr2 qfan/atx 12V 2.3 version/PFC/14cm

So should I purchase a power supply tester or sth like that to diagnose the problem?
Oh yeah, and the RAM thing...I actually have 4 gb, but yes that`s what windows reports

Collapse -
So did you research that PSU and it's rails?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: so...

I see the PSU has 2 17 Ampere rails. Looking around I see the 9800 can tap that small rail very hard and a lockup is one result, reboot too.

Odd choice for a gamer machine. Who designed this?

This is not saying it's that but certainly a possibility.

Today you suggest the single rail PSU to avoid balancing the rails or pushing a rail too hard. Some folk forget that PSUs age and think it's capable of 17 Amperes for years. I think it's 17 new and figure 50% in a year so I don't run into that issue.

Collapse -
Hello again
by ioplaton / December 24, 2012 3:35 AM PST

Actually someone helped me build the pc, so he could have been mistaking when choosing the components
So from what you said I understand the psu might not be providing enough voltage(sorry I`m no electronic expert)....great so what`s the next step, test it with a more powerful power source?

Collapse -
Or reducing the load.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2012 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: Hello again

Keep in mind that most 8800/9800's are old enough to create machine issues. I've seen a person change the entire machine and keep this card. The lockups continued. You are the best source for what it could be. You've lived with it long enough to get a feel for what to change. You can leave the cover off and remove an optical drive and what else? to reduce the load.

Collapse -
too bad I don`t have a feel for these things
by ioplaton / December 24, 2012 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Or reducing the load.

Really don`t know how to operate "inside" a computer, but there`s a first time for everything:D maybe removing an optical drive isn`t that hard

Anyhow thanks again I`ll let you know what goes on

Collapse -
I don't have to remove the drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2012 4:33 AM PST

Just power down and unplug the 2 cables from that drive. The usual SATA optical drive cables are keyed and you can't get them on wrong (unless you are quite forceful.)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.