Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer Freezes Only On The Internet!!!

by mparegian / July 9, 2006 1:48 PM PDT

I have looked through a ton of previously asked questions and have not found an answer, so here goes!!!

Ok folks, I've got something I just can't figure out. I have a fairly new Compaq Presario (512 RAM) (200 GB Hardrive) 3200+ AMD Athlon 64 Processor and Windows XP Service Pak 2) with all the bells and whistles. It works just great until I put it on the internet. Then it freezes up and quits on me entirely. Just recently it became infected with several Trojans and malware. I effectively cleaned them all off and have performed all the other steps that are suggested to clean up the computer, including running many many on-line scanners including Trend Micro, Ad-Aware, Sypbot Search & Destroy, Spy Sweeper, Spy Catcher, Spywareblaster, AVG, various reg cleaners, check disk, defrag, Windows Defender, Window Washer and I have cleaned up the "Start" menu to include only the most minimal things that will make this computer work and protect it. OK - as soon as I connect to the internet (which it does very well) it immediately freezes up and when I go into "Task Manager" it shows the CPU usage as 100% - and I can do nothing except try to turn it off which takes about 15 minutes if I use Task Manager. I definitely need some help here - anyone have any ideas ???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Freezes Only On The Internet!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Freezes Only On The Internet!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Freeze only when on-line ?
by Papa Echo / July 9, 2006 11:26 PM PDT

Please describe what you mean by "freeze-up and quit"- do you mean the browser (Internet Explorer ?)stops working and the mouse crusor does not move ?

I suppose you are not able to get on the Internet- then how did tyou got infected with several Trojans and malware "just recently" ?

The clue may be the "bells and whistles" - what are they ? You probably have lots of programs (also malware which you think are cleaned) trying to call home, programs trying to update automatically,...etc. Have you tried a different browser ?

Collapse -
Freezes Only On Internet!!!
by mparegian / July 10, 2006 12:30 AM PDT

By ''freeze up and quit'' I mean the whole thing stops, the mouse freezes, etc. and the screen turns white or each frame stops and you can just see a little of each frame. I am able to do a control-alt-delete to get the task manager up and then I see that my CPU usage skyrockets to 100% so the computer is just really busy doing something ???

I can get on the internet for short periods of time now before it freezes up - but the original problem started when my son was visiting ''My Space''!!!

As to bells and whistles, I don't mean software, I'm referring to the many physical components on the computer - I have very few software programs installed and none in the Start menu.

I was thinking of trying a different browser - but I really like IE - and would prefer to simply fix the problem - but I'll try something else before I re-format!!

I don't know how to find out if there are still any malware on it - I've run every test I know of and have even run them in ''Safe Mode'' - the machine now appears clean - but still freezes??? What are your thoughts??

Collapse -
Lets get back to basics with IE
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 10, 2006 5:24 AM PDT

If IE is causing the whole OS to freeze, then let's try and revert IE to it's default.

By the way, in the Task Manager you say the CPU goes to 100%, but which process is it that is causing it to do so. If you look under the Process tab of the Task Manager and then the CPU column, which one is at 100%?

If you don't have a cpu column, goto View, Select Columns, and select CPU Usage.

If it is IE, then restore IE to it's defaults. Does IE attempt to connect to the internet as soon as you open IE up? If so, you need to stop it doing so before opening IE, otherwise it may freeze as soon as you double click IE.

Goto Control Panel > Network & Internet connections, then Internet Options.

Under the General tab, Home Page, click the ''Use Blank'' button. This will stop your home page from loading if you're on a broadband, always on connection.

Then under the Connections tab, make sure the ''Never dial a connection'' option is selected. This is for dial-up users, but is also a good security measure to prevent rogue dialers from connecting if ever you download one unknown to you.

Click Apply. Then go through each tab, and wherever you see a ''Default'' button, click it. Click Apply finally.

Then back to the General tab, and click the ''Settings'' button under ''Temporary Internet Files''. Click the ''View objects'' button, and this will display all of the ActiveX controls installed. Remove those, so you have none left then close that window.

Close the Settings window, then click the ''Delete Cookies'' and ''Delete Files'' buttons. Click Apply, then OK.

Now, open IE and see if it freezes the OS. If not, in the address bar, type www.google.com and press Enter. See if your browser works normally now.

You have deleted all ActiveX controls, all cookies and TIF's so if you visit any web pages regularly, you may have to re-log in, or re-download components, etc. Your security settings should also have reverted to high, so some web sites may not work properly.

But hopefully this will solve the problem of the whole OS freezing.

Mark

Collapse -
Lets get back to basics with IE
by mparegian / July 11, 2006 10:20 AM PDT

As to which process in the Task Manager with the high usage, it is "dumprep.exe".

I followed your steps about re-setting IE back to it's default state - then re-started the computer and it is still freezing up.

Collapse -
This link.......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 11, 2006 8:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
This link.......
by mparegian / July 13, 2006 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: This link.......

Thanks, but that really didn't help - dumprep.exe is now turned off, but it still freezes up. I downloaded Firefox and that works perfectly, but I an unhappy about not being able to fix IE as it is my browswer of choice. Any other suggestions ??

Collapse -
OK, next thing to look at
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 13, 2006 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: This link.......

Hi m8.

You said dumprep.exe is now disabled but IE still freezes. Which process in the task Manager is at 100% now?

The next time this happens, check the time. If you have to reboot, do so. Whether or not you do have to reboot, chek the Event Viewer. Goto Start > Run and type in eventvwr.msc then click OK.

In the Event Viewer window, highlight both Applications and Services one at a time, and see if there are any exclamation marks or errors listed for the time you noted. If so, highlight the error, right click and select Properties. Tell us what you find there please.

By the way, does IE fail when you try Microsoft Updates? (Start > All Programs > Microsoft Update).

Mark

Collapse -
OK, next thing to look at
by mparegian / July 14, 2006 10:06 AM PDT

With dumprep.exe now disabled - it does still freeze up to the point where I can't make anything work - and I see no usage in the Task Manager.

I found no errors using eventvwr.msc and no, when I go directly to Windows Update, it updates fine and all updates are currently installed.

Collapse -
Strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 14, 2006 7:55 PM PDT

The Microsoft Update link uses IE, so that shows that IE is basically sound.

You say that there is nothing in the Task Manager when the computer freezes and that is weird as well.

I can only think of one other thing. When you open IE to surf the internet, what is your Home Page?

If IE is freezing the system as soon as it connects to the internet, then perhaps it is because of content in the home page.

I'm running out of ideas except the "final solution", a reinstall of the OS, but that's a drastic solution.

Mark

Collapse -
Attempt Internet connection in
by billzhills / July 10, 2006 7:24 AM PDT

Safe Mode with network. If you can connect with out freezing then you still have a malware infection.

Download Blacklight from F-Secure. This scans for root kits. You may also have to run HiJack This and post it on a forum that supports this application, cNet does not.

Finally if at any time a P2P network was installed save your files and perform a destrictive restore. P2P apps hook too deep into Windows for complete removal.

Luck

Bill

Collapse -
Attempt Internet connection in
by mparegian / July 11, 2006 11:52 AM PDT

I ran it in Safe Mode with networking and was able to get on - but the mouse and keyboard immediately quit working - but the internet was working fine, just couldn't do anything with it.

I downloaded and ran Blacklight - the machine came up clean.

I have not installed any P2P applications and what is a destrictive restore ???

Collapse -
Can't Spell .... Destructive Restore
by billzhills / July 11, 2006 10:28 PM PDT

Removes all data and returns the system to factory condition.

Normally I can access the Internet with an infected system w/o system freezing, reason I suggested this method. Possible IE itself may be corrupt. I'll leave others on un-install as I've never had much luck doing so.

Luck

Bill

Collapse -
Cookies & Cache??
by Trance_Zac / July 15, 2006 1:37 AM PDT

I'm sure you've cleared your cookies & temp files in Internet Connections right? The factory setting for IE cache is way to big - reset it to 150 MB after clearing.
Clear History while your there.

If all this is right & Firefox works well, then it sounds like time for a repairinstall, or preferably a clean wipe & reinstall

If you don't want to do this, try downloading the latest Beta release of IE here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4c1a8fbe-fb6a-47ac-867d-bb1f17e477ee&displaylang=en it will overwright your IE 6.0
John

Collapse -
hComputer Freezes Only On The Internet!!!
by duff895437 / February 2, 2013 2:07 PM PST

have you found out the answer already? cause i have the same loptop as yours and also the same problems.. im so sure that my pc is clean cause i just reformat my pc and its still the same.. i guess its not related to the software and im still looking for an answer.. so please if you've already figure it out.. please share it. thank you

Collapse -
This post from 2006 is closing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 11:51 PM PST

There are new issues today such as FLASH HARDWARE ACCELERATION that was not an issue in 2006.

Try turning that off and making a new post with the results as this old post is closing.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.