Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

computer freezes on disk cleanup

by star4268 / June 14, 2004 4:48 AM PDT

I have plenty of memory, but whenever I run Disk Cleanup and select the drive I want to clean, it hands for an indefinate amount of time without actually getting to the "this is how much space you can make available" screen to even let me begin deleting temporary files. Why is this? It's not because I didn't wait long enough for the program to run, i've let it run for hours...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer freezes on disk cleanup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer freezes on disk cleanup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: computer freezes on disk cleanup
by Tufenuf / June 14, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

star4268, Go to the link below and scroll down to 48 and you'll see the "Disk Cleanup - Compress Old Files Freezes" Fix in the right column, download it and run it which should correct your problem.

Just click on the words "Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes" not the underscored word "Undo".

"To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Collapse -
Computer does not freezes on disk cleanup. Can take days.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

The compress old files actually runs the files through compression because Microsoft got feedback that the space saved was "inaccurate." The only way to get the right number is to do the compress. With today's many gigabyte drives, you can be looking at a very very long delay.

Most of us will just skip that step. Here's how:

Remove this key...

Collapse -
Re: computer freezes on disk cleanup
by Silver7 / June 14, 2004 11:19 PM PDT

Virus.Have you Run a virus program and checked for any?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.