Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Computer Freezes (Multimedia and Internet)

by Quinindarinal / September 26, 2004 10:21 AM PDT

I have been experiencing computer freezes whenever I am downloading from the internet and running a movie, video, music, or some other form of multimedia. Lately it has been happening ALOT when I run Unreal Tournament 2k4. I am running a system that is home built, WIth a Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra Mobo, an ATHLON XP 1800+, 512 MB Pc 2700 Corsair RAM with a heatsink and a Nvidia FX 5200 video card with 128 mb RAM. I have a 450 watt power supply (tru power) and keep the computer very well ventilated and dusted. I have also run adaware repeatedly and this does nothing to help. I am also on a VERY fast cable modem connection.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Freezes (Multimedia and Internet)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Freezes (Multimedia and Internet)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Computer Freezes (Multimedia and Internet)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 10:40 AM PDT

1. The heat test. I know you have fans and such but remove the case cover and try again...

2. The speed test. Drop the FSB setting from 133 or 266 ro 100 or 200 and see if the unit works.

3. The RAM test. http://www.memtest86.com Only zero errors is a pass.

4. The pest test. Adaware, Spybot, Stinger and Housecall.

5. The P2P test. Got P2P? This test failed.

6. The BIOS test. It's likely out of date. Find out.

7. And the drivers. A test of today's builders is that they find all the current drivers. Microsoft doesn't do this for us.

Bob

Collapse -
by Quinindarinal / September 27, 2004 6:36 AM PDT

Good ideas all. I have run through everyone of them and I am still suffering from this problem of the computer freezing. This is driving me crazy! Any other ideas?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2004 6:50 AM PDT

"You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully."

At this point, your bios, OS, drivers and such are all current and there is no RAM failure. You now get to change the motherboard, video card, CPU to see which part is defective.

Since its a new machine, now is the time to call the supplier and ask what part they want back first.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.