Computer Help

General discussion

Computer freezes for a few seconds then resumes

by toomuchthinking86 / April 2, 2008 2:51 PM PDT

Hello, my computer recently has been freezing or getting hung up for a few seconds, then returns back to normal. I just built this computer a few weeks ago and things went quite smoothly until a few days ago.

I am running an AMD X2 5000+
2 GB of RAM
ASUS M24-E Mobo
500gb HDD + 160 GB HDD (Both Sata)
NIDIA GeForce 8600 gt 256mb video card.
SoundBlaster Audigy
D-Link DWA-552 wireless N
All on a fresh install of XP Pro with SP. 2

Things should run smooth, right? Well wrong.

I installed up to date drivers for the video card. No change.

Ran CCleaner (with updates), fixed all errors. No change.

AVG-free (with updates), No threats found.

Any suggestions? I am about out of ideas and getting irritated because it is becoming quite frequent.

Thanks! -Jon

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freezes for a few seconds then resumes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freezes for a few seconds then resumes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: "All on a fresh install of XP Pro with SP. 2"
by Edward ODaniel / April 3, 2008 1:52 AM PDT

After that fresh install did you install the motherboard drivers?

Are you networked (any computer sharing going on)?

Is the indexing service running?

Any version of MS Office installed with its own indexing?

You mention - "I just built this computer a few weeks ago and things went quite smoothly until a few days ago. "

WHAT changed between "quite smoothly" and present problem? Any hardware or software added or uninstalled?

Have you any anti-virus application, firewall, anti-malware installed and USED?

Any errors reported in your system or application logs when you look at them in Event Viewer?

Collapse -
by toomuchthinking86 / April 3, 2008 5:35 AM PDT

Yes, I installed all the drivers for every component (at least all that came with disks)

I am on a Wireless network.

To be honest I am not quite sure about the indexing service. I believe I am running it. Not at home, so I'll check later for sure. I never asked it to be running, but never disabled either.

A few days after I added my D-link card I noticed it. I'm not exactly sure when it first started. I just assumed it was a hang up in my wireless router. Then after I added my sound card it got worse.

After posting this problem last night I changed the position of my RAM. Things seem to be working better, but haven't used my computer too much yet..

Thanks for the help so far.

Collapse -
2G RAM....
by Papa Echo / April 3, 2008 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

How is it configured - 1 stick ? 2 sticks ? Same value in each slot ? Stcks have same speed ? From same manufacturer ? Are they defects free ?

Collapse -
Had a similar problem once
by Steven Haninger / April 3, 2008 6:12 AM PDT

I'm not sure exactly what you're seeing. In my case it appeared to be a freeze that resolved itself. I had no mouse or keyboard control but the screen was fine. It turned out to be a hard drive power connector that was intermittent. The drive would lose power and spin down but spin back up again almost immediately. Eventually I was able to hear the drive change drop out and return and was able to fix the connector. No problems since.

Collapse -
Heavy Specs
by megamannt92 / April 3, 2008 8:46 AM PDT

You have lots of stuff in that thing. How many watts is your PSU? Sometimes if your power supplies are not powerful enough to power all you have...Your computer will freeze up or restart.

Could be a heat problem too(heat can make your computer lag...), are you sure one of your cooling fans did not break?

Collapse -
RE
by toomuchthinking86 / April 3, 2008 4:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Heavy Specs

I am running two sticks. 1gb each. Brand new paired G.skill.

So far, since I switched the memory sticks around the problem has ceased. I think. I am still doubtful, but it hasn't happened so can't complain. In my last computer I only had 2 slots for my Ram. In this one I have four. I was under the impression that they were paired, so you matched the slots by color. Maybe not? I have two yellow and two black slots. Colors are not placed by each other. Currently one stick in each color.

Anyway, I like the Power supply idea. I hadn't thought of that. That could be a problem. I'm only running 450W which IS low..

Heat isn't a problem. Good thought though. Computer is in a nice new antec case. Good, quiet, fast fans. All cables are tucked away and cards spaced nicely.

Thank you all for the idea's! Great feedback.

Collapse -
Power
by megamannt92 / April 3, 2008 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: RE

Having 2 HDs, maxed out RAM, and a good video card sucks alot of power.

Hopefully a new more powerful PSU would fix that. Hope you can get it fixed up, I know how these things are...They drive you nuts!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.