Computer Freezes at Startup

by Mew64 / September 22, 2004 7:57 AM PDT

emachines t3025
System AMD Athlon XP, 2167 MHz
Memory 448MB RAM
Disk Drive C 160gb
Video NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
Windows Windows XP SP2

I got a emachines T3025 last summer. Sometimes, when it starts up, it freezes at the e splash screen. I took the computer to Best Buy and it does not freeze there, so they wouldn't help me.

I sent it to emachines to get it fixed, but they did not fix it.

IT is normally plugged into a surge protector. I tried plugging it into the wall. Nothing was affected

I turned off the startup programs, and disconnected USB devices. It still doesnt start up right.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Freezes at Startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Freezes at Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Computer Freezes at Startup
by Michael Geist / September 23, 2004 8:15 AM PDT

Backup in time and ask yourself when the problem started and what changes might have occurred. Troubleshooting intermittent freeze ups can be troublesome at best when given little info.

Collapse -
by Mew64 / September 23, 2004 11:35 AM PDT

It started right when I got the computer. I did nothing to the comptuer to make it act this way.

Collapse -
How far will you go to fix it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2004 11:41 AM PDT

Would you replace parts like ... http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=MBB#CPU%20&%20Motherboard%20Combos ????????

There is a "problem" with the machine and nothing you've noted gives a clue yet what part you suspect and there is no indication you've taken action or tried this and that.

Let's also cover the ANTIVIRUS since some post in the forums and don't have such... What can be written about that?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How far will you go to fix it?
by Mew64 / September 23, 2004 11:52 AM PDT

When I called emachines I did everything they said to diagnose the computer--USB and startup. I already typed this. I've also tried PC Pitstop, Defragging, and spyware scan.

Also, when I sent it to emachines, they replaced the hard drive. that didn't help. Even after that I sent it to them again, and whatever they did helped nothing.

Collapse -
Just the answers then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2004 12:03 PM PDT

I asked a few questions. I know its tough, but do try to answer.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just the answers then.
by Mew64 / September 23, 2004 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Just the answers then.

I thought I answered. I beleive I tried just about everything to see what was wrong with my computer. If two companies can't diagnose it either, there is something seriously wrong with the computer

I also have the recent NOrton Anti Virus but it is disabled. It is so annoying.

Collapse -
Just the answers then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2004 12:12 AM PDT

I asked more questions. For me the important one is whether you will be willing to repair the machine by replacing motherboard, CPU, etc.

If you don't want to answer such questions, that's fine, but that leaves us with not much to do.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just the answers then.
by Mew64 / September 24, 2004 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Just the answers then.

I am not willing to pay extra cash for hardware.

Collapse -
"I am not willing to pay extra cash for hardware."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2004 5:09 AM PDT

Best of luck.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: "I am not willing to pay extra cash for hardware."
by Mew64 / September 24, 2004 7:44 AM PDT

Is that all? NObody knows?

This is so weird.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2004 8:32 AM PDT

I know what I would do, but that is not an option you want to consider. Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
by Mew64 / September 24, 2004 11:19 AM PDT

Well would anyone on another board know what to do? I'm thinking of probably hiring someone to go to my house or something now.

Collapse -
"Well would anyone on another board know what to do? I'm thi
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2004 12:00 PM PDT

"Well would anyone on another board know what to do? I'm thinking of probably hiring someone to go to my house or something now."

It's really simple. It's likely that some hardware item is defective. The fact that you are not getting to the windows logo is "a sign". It takes very little to get to that screen.

Since you are not willing to replace any hardware, the discussion is dead.

I'm sure you will find another board that will have people reload the OS in many ways, but you've done that by now and its not working out for you. In my view it's time to fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: "Well would anyone on another board know what to do? I'm
by doodman / September 24, 2004 11:48 PM PDT

If all hope is lost, you may as go for the last ditch effort and visit HP's website and find an updated BIOS program for your e-Machine. Then flash your BIOS to the most recent one available. For help and instructions on flashing your BIOS check out www.msi.com/us That might be where I saw the instructions.. They were easy to follow and very explicit. But be very careful. If you screw up while doing this you can make your computer virtually useless. It wont turn on and is tricky to get back into working order. Maybe ask a friend with experience for help. Good Luck!!
-John

Collapse -
Re: "Well would anyone on another board know what to do? I'm
by Mew64 / September 25, 2004 2:32 PM PDT

All right. I'm not sure if I'm going to flash my bios, but i have an idea of whats going on.

Collapse -
by tigerrrrrrr82 / November 30, 2004 12:38 AM PST

your computer probably has damage from overheating. My computer has froze at the splash screen, which i was told was due to overheating. Talk to tech support, make them repair it, if they don't ask for the number for the corprate office and complain. tell anyone you know that has an emachine and this same problem to do the same, and don't let anyone you know buy an emachines. I'm reading reviews and I'm seeing a trend with overheating issues and bad service. My computer has been repaired 4 times already and is still not working. maybe if we all crack down on their bad service and repairs they'll actually do something.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.