Computer Help

Question

Computer freezes and sound continues

by Camo6612 / December 3, 2012 10:02 AM PST

So lately (ever since I installed Assassin's Creed 3 and Aliens vs Preadator) my computer during any form of gaming has been freezing with the sound continuing. It becomes completely unresponsive and results to a manual power off. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes skype will continue to run and I can stay in conversation with someone whilst it is frozen but sometimes it will not.
http://www.freepchelp.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1772&d=1354585188&thumb=1

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freezes and sound continues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freezes and sound continues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Can't read that. I get this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 10:07 AM PST

"You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

If you want to share something, try photobucket or such.

The usual issue is either an incomplete install of Windows, heat, drivers or a game bug.
Bob

Collapse -
Here is a better link
by Camo6612 / December 3, 2012 10:15 AM PST
Collapse -
I spy an old video card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: Here is a better link

And a rather famous one. Research 8600 defective on google. I'd try replacing the heatsink compound on that but it's sad to read you leading off with what it can't be. I find when I state such, I eat my words.
Bob

Collapse -
Type of card
by Camo6612 / December 3, 2012 10:26 AM PST

What card would be the best to buy? I would prefer a reasonably priced one that can play your standard game

Collapse -
I like this list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Type of card
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.