Computer Help forum

Question

Computer freezes and other problems

by ichigo75124 / August 26, 2013 5:12 AM PDT

My computer freezes often( usually in 10 minutes from starting, but recently also after a few hours) When switched off forcefully, doesn't want to switch on( I press the button, computer starts to work, but screen remains black and nothing happens) Also( less frequent then other issues) there are various bluescreens or restarts. Any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freezes and other problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freezes and other problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Need a little more information
by itsdigger / August 26, 2013 5:17 AM PDT

computer make and model , operating system, how old it is and have you ever heard of canned air?

Collapse -
Answer
Here you have
by ichigo75124 / August 26, 2013 5:27 AM PDT

A sorry( results of writing this in night...)
Windows Vista
Intel core 2 quad 2.66 GHz
Graphic card: Nvidia 9800GT
power supply: Modecom 430
Cooling :Coller Foxconn
around... 4 years? 2 years from the last repair i think...
Something else needed?

Collapse -
Freezing and
by itsdigger / August 26, 2013 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Here you have

blue screens can be caused by a lot of things including lack of maintenance. How longs it been since you opened the case and cleaned out all the dirt and dust with canned air. Also a computer this age may need new thermal paste applied to all of the heat sinks.

Collapse -
by ichigo75124 / August 26, 2013 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Freezing and

seems to be around 1,5-2 year, but a problem comes and goes as it wishes( once it disappered on half a year, and then returned. No cleaning were done in that that time. I clean it once in 2-3 month, though there are places i can't reach( though i will now try with the canned air, thank for tip)
Also, BSOD's are quite rare, it more freezes or doesn't want to work. Also, sometimes a solid punch seems to help Grin

Collapse -
let us know
by itsdigger / August 26, 2013 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

how it turns out and we'll go from there. It's always a good place to start...Digger

Collapse -
(NT) Why put money into an old computer?
by glb613 / August 26, 2013 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Here you have
Collapse -
Answer
I spy the usual 9800 video card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2013 5:45 AM PDT

I know this is not popular but pull the 9800 out. Do the usual cleaning and slip in a lower power video card to continue testing.

That 430 Watt PSU looks to be a few years old and since capacity drops with age, it's either the usual video card issue or old tired PSU. Next time add a few more hundred Watts.
Bob

Collapse -
by ichigo75124 / August 26, 2013 5:50 AM PDT

It had once stronger one( around 650 i think) which was exchanged in testing "What can be wrong...?" Didn't helped for too long though...

Collapse -
That's not a good sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2013 10:37 AM PDT

Those 8800/9800 cards are expiring a lot. Try another card.

Collapse -
Also
by Jimmy Greystone / August 26, 2013 8:06 AM PDT

Also, the symptoms fit our old friend "bad caps" pretty well.

So to the OP: Since you say you replaced the PSU and it didn't help, the next thing to do would be to replace the video card and see if that helps. If you still have problems, google "bad caps" and probably start pricing new computers.

Collapse -
by ichigo75124 / August 26, 2013 9:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Also

In fact, the PSU has been exchanged three times: twice on a quarantee ( first time- PSU burned itself, secend- destoyed graphic card, PSU exchanged for higher powered one( mentioned 650, "gift" prom the producer Grin ) and third time by me on current one. Also, it had exchanged graphic card twice and a SATA tape. Anything else that could have broke...?

Collapse -
That thing
by itsdigger / August 26, 2013 9:46 PM PDT

was a Lemon from the start. Time fro a new one

Collapse -
Sorry but I wish the machine story was up front.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2013 12:37 AM PDT

As it stands now all parts are suspect. When a power supply fries, you're never sure what it burned.

-> However the burning/loss of many supplies is either the usual issue of too many amperes on a rail, a stuffy case, or BAD CAPS.

Many years ago we learned about BAD CAPS as an office PC ate a power supply. We didn't think much of it and added 100 Watts to the PSU and it was back in service. It ate that PSU and we added 100 and back in service. Again but we had so many machines that we didn't notice it was doing this. Added another 100 Watts and with a 750 Watt PSU and no big GPU like yours and it finally failed with a big loud BANG! and a cloud of smoke.

We found some capacitors had exploded and this was the beginning of the BAD CAPS stories.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.