Laptops forum

Question

Computer freeze while reloading system

by Pmevs01 / June 15, 2013 6:13 AM PDT

My Gateway notebook hard drive crashed last week. I ordered and installed a new hard drive and had new boot disks sent to me by Acer. I installed all the disks in order and when they system is trying to boot up, I keep getting "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation". When I shut it down and restart, my computer freezes up with "Setup is starting services" and it never goes anywhere.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freeze while reloading system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freeze while reloading system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Too little detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2013 6:23 AM PDT

I see the make but no model. Not OS listed and well, there's so much to check. If this was an early model with XP (the one without SP2 or later) and the new drive was over 127GB then what you noted is to be expected.

It can also happen if anything is plugged into USB ports and well, I'd be adding some 100 things to check.

Tell all! Tell more.
Bob

Collapse -
by Pmevs01 / June 15, 2013 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Too little detail.

Thanks for the response Bob.

This Gateway notebook is a NV59C06u with windows 7. The 500 Gig Western Digital hard drive crashed on me. I removed the hard drive and bought the exact same one online. I needed reboot disc, so I went back to the mfg and bought the reboot discs. When I installed them, they all took until I needed to restart the system. Now it is stuck.

Thanks

Collapse -
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2013 3:27 AM PDT

I had a similar lockup and to solve it was not trivial. I had to go get a current version of GPARTED which I was going to delete all partitions on the drive so I could try again.

However this machine had the new UEFI BIOS with the Secure Boot so I had to research more about enabling CSM (Corporate Stable Mode) and then my GPARTED CD would boot and I cleaned off the HDD of all partitions.

Now the restore media would work after I loaded the BIOS defaults and the default included a boot to CD/DVD first so I was done.

-> This brings up a good point. Not everyone is a mechanic.
Bob

Collapse -
by Pmevs01 / June 15, 2013 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Too little detail.

Also - I do not have anything plugged into any USB port.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.