Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer freeze-up During Download

by GreenEggsNHam / July 9, 2004 4:18 PM PDT

First the specifics on my computer:

Model: Gateway 500SE
Intel Pentium 4, 1600 MHz, 100MHz external bus
Memory: 768MB physical
Windows XP SP1 (Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1)
Intel Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection, Cable Modem

My computer will often freeze-up during a high-speed download, or when I'm downloading a few things at once. If I'm able to bring up the task manager (which I'm not able to do), I've noticed that it'll say CPU usage is at 100% when the problem occurs. More often than not, the computer freezes up before I'm able to bring up task manager.

For instance, It's happened if I'm using a bittorrent program to download large-sized files (television episodes) and when I've tried to download trial versions of software programs.

Some related things I've noticed:

--Task manager will not work, and I have to either unplug the computer or turn off the computer without shutting it down. I've waited half an hour sometimes to see if it'll unfreeze, all to no avail.

--I've been able to bring up My Computer, and cannot open "view system information" but can open other options in My Computer. Don't know if that's worth mentioning, just thought I would because I noticed it.

--Just before the computer freezes up, the internet connection will die completely.

--I've run a few different virus checking programs (Norton and Housecall), and they have come up with nothing. Also using ZoneAlarm Firewall program.

This has been happening for 2 weeks, and cannot figure out what is causing the issue. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freeze-up During Download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freeze-up During Download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Computer freeze-up During Download
by Ross / July 9, 2004 10:30 PM PDT

Well just a guess but do you have your anti virus and fire wall going when down loading if so shut them off and restart when your down load is done??:)

Collapse -
by Yew / July 10, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

ZoneAlarm, IMO, is a worthless POS not worth the price of free. It's a major resource hog and is well known to cause problems with a large number of apps.

Norton AV is also not exactly the greatest. There's a couple of trojans out there right now which manage to completely escape detection by Norton.

I'd start by replacing ZoneAlarm, but I can tell you that all software firewalls will cause you to have a large number of hash failures with Bittorrent. But in my experience, Kerio was probably the least resource intensive, Sygate being the worst, barely edging out ZoneAlarm for worst software firewall. You might just want to wait for XP SP2 which will have a rather significant upgrade to the XP firewall. It won't compare to a good firewall, but it will probably offer all the protection the average person needs.

Collapse -
by GreenEggsNHam / July 10, 2004 2:26 AM PDT

I don't think it's a Norton or ZoneAlarm issues, because I had them both long before this problem started. But just to give it a shot, I turned them both off while downloading. Tried it two times, and each time the same thing happened. Something I noticed this time is that even if I'm able to close the browser and other programs before the computer freezes up, the connection still dies.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have you tried System Restore to date bef problem?
by glenn30 / July 10, 2004 8:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Have you tried System Restore to date bef problem?
by GreenEggsNHam / July 10, 2004 1:47 PM PDT

Yeah, that wasn't an option. In order to do a virus check after all this started happening, it had to erase all the previous system restore dates.

Collapse -
Generic things I do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2004 1:39 AM PDT

1. All spyware must die.

I use Spybot, Adaware, Cwshredder and Housecall. All items found are ejected.

2. It's hot in here.

Just to sniff out a heat issue, remove the case cover and see if the issue subsides.

Bob

Collapse -
by GreenEggsNHam / July 14, 2004 7:20 AM PDT

Got it!

The issue was the newer version of Zone Alarm. If you don't have the ZA Pro, you cannot configure port blocking, and Zone Alarm (the newer version anyway) automatically blocks many ports. Nothing you can do about it unless you get Pro. You cannot even solve the problem by turning it off! You have to uninstall it and remove all the registry information. Annoying!

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.